project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Proximity Grenades  (Read 5206 times)

Jester

Proximity Grenades
« on: January 26, 2008, 12:29:50 am »
I've been reading through this forum and some of the documentation and haven't seen anything written about the use or creation of the old proximity grenades from the original. 

Any talk of including this in the game? 

IMHO I made good use of them by covering my back with them.  It was very helpful to have an alley or section of the map 'mined' in a sense. 

Did anybody else use these things and is there any possibility of putting them in this game?

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Proximity Grenades
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 09:25:46 pm »
As far as I've understood, there are plans for something of the kind. See:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Equipment/Proposed/Proximity_Mines

Speaking of proximity detonation - what about RPG description, a part about alien EW jamming rocket guidance systems? I think that would also affect proximity detection, let alone friend-or-foe identification.

Jester

Re: Proximity Detonations
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:26:52 pm »
Thanks for the link, I'll look at that next, but I wanted to comment on your thought.

I would also love to see something on the alien side related to a proximity mution. 
And as for the EW jamming, I'd also love to see some sort of IR goggles and the ability to punch a hole through a wall. 
In the original game, that was a very interesting feature, sometimes a good thing and sometimes when that was a bad thing.  (Floors suddenly dropping out beneath you.)

Later

btfx

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 05:45:15 am »
I recall the first time I heard a rocket flying across the map (I never use the RL), and I was very surprised to see the aliens with RLs and GLs. Perhaps the proxi mine would also be "adapted" by the aliens. This would change the game to some extent. You would have to think twice about sending that veteran sniper to the roof all alone.

wotwot

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 02:32:13 pm »
I had the same feeling when I saw first time rocket flying towards my troops!  ;D

Speaking of grenades, I want to be able to time my grenades so that they wont necessarily explode just when you have thrown them but maybe end of next turn or later. It would add for more tactics. Old XCOMs had this feature as you sure know. I assume this feature is planned?

Offline JonDough

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 10:13:41 am »
Ah! Yeah, the proximity grenade. I found it very useful in the old UFO game. Been looking forward to find it here too. I'm a little bit stuck in my current game. I have Particle beam weapon and Aircraft Propulsion ( i really don't remember exactly what they were called ) still to be researched but they're greyd out somehow saying i dont have enough background information to research it.

SMOOTH

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 12:56:49 pm »
capture and research a landed scout first to free up your tech tree

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 06:53:37 pm »
I have Particle beam weapon and Aircraft Propulsion ( i really don't remember exactly what they were called ) still to be researched but they're greyd out somehow saying i dont have enough background information to research it.

For the Particle Beam Weapon, you have to have researched either a Fighter or a Harvester and have the Weapon unit at hand.

For the Alien Propulsion, you have to have researched Alien Materials and have a Propulsion unit at hand.

As blondandy noted, neither of these paths will be open until you have researched a functioning Scout [2.2] or UFO Theory [2.3].  Any functioning UFO will give you the option to research UFO Theory.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 08:39:43 pm by Doctor J »