project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Some help with original xCOM tactics please.  (Read 16653 times)

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Some help with original xCOM tactics please.
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 11:33:19 pm »
yup, that's the only way to deal with them with confidence. 

practice on everyone else, then try the ethereals.  If 3-4 controllers can hold Ethereals reliably, one is ready for a trip to the red planet.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 12:19:17 am »
yep. usually when psionic power enters the game you have to fire your best sniper (as he/she had bad psionic power).

My "A Team" had always a minimum 70 but rather 80 psi-power so they could stand psi-attacks.

-geever

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 05:18:55 pm »
Daniel anyone that suffered from panic or berserk was automatically shot on my next turn.

id rather sacrafice them than half my team

and yes geever 70 is good but 80 is really preferred MINIMUM ..

I wonder if they are going to implement psionic ability in this game

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 02:09:16 am »
i never managed to get this far- how did you kill that big black things that changed my man into zombies? They allways came out of nowhere and catch oe of my man

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 04:03:38 pm »
Oh, they are indeed a pain.  sadly, same as before - you move carefully, leave time for reaction fire and have soldiers cover each other.  The "shoot a rocket, ask questions later" policy is very helpful here.

If it is a real tough situation - terror missions with snakemen can end up having 8 of those things.  Or taking a down snakemen terror ship can have 4-5.  Worst case - show up, not even let your guys off the ship, and abandon mission.  Still better than not going at all.

Eventually - heavy plasma + good reaction.  Accept no substitue.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 08:55:21 pm »
i never managed to get this far- how did you kill that big black things that changed my man into zombies? They allways came out of nowhere and catch oe of my man

another chrysallid lover lol

i hear heavy lasers work well on them.. thats what i hear... the only thing ive seen effectively take them down is heavy plasma or autocannons with armor piercing rounds

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 10:11:34 pm »
oh, some of the sweetest memories - night terror mission with snakemen and cryssalids on the 6th of January, game time...  taking down the damn infestation of 'em with rifles and rocket launchers.

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 11:29:18 pm »
these things are tough like hell- i sent an UGV to scout and it smashed my tank into peaces

Offline keybounce

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 06:14:41 am »
(bump)

My memory of the original XCom's finances was:
1. Start with the medkit. Best return on investment (manufacturing profit) of anything you can make initially. I think the next was the laser cannon (ship weapon); much better, but took some time to research.

2. Laser weapons were better than plasmas. You get them quicker, they never run out of ammo, and they (plus grenades) are good enough for anything.

3. Psionics is an unnecessary diversion. I spent no time on it. Blaster bombs firing around corners, along with sacrificial scouts is more than enough to handle any situation.

4. Reaction walls is your friend.
4b: If a UFO door gets propped open, RETREAT! Blaster bombs will come out of that door and wipe out your wall of troops. See also #3 above :-).

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 10:07:15 am »
What difficulty level did you play on?  I am not sure I can ever win a game without use of Psyonics at all - maybe wiwthout using controllers, just by making sure my attack crew are all resistant.  I suppose one can find out by sending them against ethereals and the last 1-2 standign would be resistant.

not crazy about 'sacreficial scouts' - just my view.  Prefer a well-trained team of veterans.