project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Multiplayer optoins in client vs server  (Read 2979 times)

nemchenk

Multiplayer optoins in client vs server
« on: March 15, 2008, 09:23:08 am »
Please don't (make an option for weapon jams, encumberance, or recoil.) Make it a patch instead. It's not a good idea to make the game have different rules according to the options the player has set. We'd never live it down in multiplayer.

Did I get this correct? Currently each client's settings override the server in a multiplayer game? So, someone could edit their weapons*.ufo and set the damage to uber-strength, and proceed to wipe the floor with the other player?

I've not tested this yet, but it seems like a hugely bad idea...

nemchenk

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Multiplayer optoins in client vs server
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 10:16:17 am »
no, this is not the case - the damage and actor state changes are done serverside - but of you could get an impression of - hey i hit that actor, why is he still alive if the the server is using other data than the connected clients

nemchenk

Re: Multiplayer optoins in client vs server
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 05:26:38 pm »
I think I understand what BTAxis meant -- that more options would make it more confusing for players to set up a game.

I don't agree, though -- I think it is best that players decide what sort of game they want to play up-front. Less calls of "You brought a powersuit and PB cannons?! You cheat!!!" during the game :P