project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Nicknames for soldiers  (Read 4070 times)

florian

Nicknames for soldiers
« on: March 04, 2008, 02:46:58 pm »
Hi everyone,

thanks for the great game. It's fun to play right now, but I'm looking forward to see where the game is heading in the future.

I've got a little suggestion which should improve the feeling of the game in my eyes:
Right now you can rename the soldier (just like you could in XCOM), but this always felt a little bit strange to me, after all you don't just change someones name in real life. But I do think it's a useful feature to be able to give a custom name to a soldier. This is why I suggest to replace the posibility to change the name of a soldier by the posiblility to give him an additional nickname. During combat only the nickname will be displayed (if the soldier has a nickname, otherwise his full name will be displayed). This way you can still give the soldier a cool name like "Maverick", "Paladin", "Angle" or a useful name like "Sniper", "Gunner", but the whole renaming thing feels far more natural.

Greetings,
 Florian

nemchenk

Re: Nicknames for soldiers
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 03:02:30 pm »
Interesting idea...

But surely, when entering a super-secret paramilitary organisation fighting a covert alien incursion on planet Earth (!!), your name would be immediately changed to protect your identity?  ;) Enter Agents Kay and Jay!...

PS. I think you meant "Angel", not "Super Cop Nicolas Angle" ;) (a case of virtual beer to the first one who spots the film reference!)

florian

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 03:39:22 pm »
Yes, I meant angel. And about film references: Sorry, I can only do bad wing commander references ;)

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 06:40:34 pm »
Right now you can rename the soldier (just like you could in XCOM), but this always felt a little bit strange to me, after all you don't just change someones name in real life.

Then don't.  You are free to rename Jim Smith to only names like Jim "Angle" Smith if you prefer to limit yourself that way.

There's no reason to take away the ability of more comprehensive renaming from those of us who prefer that.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 06:59:25 pm by eleazar »

Panthera Leo

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 09:41:17 pm »
Hot Fuzz? (I cheated and googled it.)

nemchenk

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 11:46:28 pm »
Heheh :) One case of virtual beer to Panthera Leo, but I will steal one bottle because you cheated ;)

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 10:57:16 pm »
I agree partially.

- I do not think this should be mandatory, as the thread starter implied.

But I also agree that people might have a real name, and might choose to either get a new name, and/or have a nickname.

Actually especially the nickname part is why i post here :)

I sometimes rename my best guys i.e. give him the name "ELITE" and "ELITE2" etc... so I know when to be ultra-pissed when an alien kills him ... but of course when renaming him ELITE, i will forget his old name ... ;)