project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Template for soldier equipment  (Read 3921 times)

maednoldor

Template for soldier equipment
« on: March 14, 2008, 08:51:04 am »
It would be greate feature. if I can create a template for the soldier equipement.

I equip them very similar. For example, I have some snipers, that have sniper rifle, ammo, medikit, IR-gogles, a couple of grenedes. My assaults have assault rifles, lmedikit, battle knife, couple of grenedes. So, it takes a lot of time to reequip new soldier of to equip all the soldiers in new base. These templates would decrease time amount needed for equipment.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Template for soldier equipment
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 10:13:09 pm »
Interesting idea.  What happens if one of the items is out of supply?  How will this work when an item can be replaced by a newly researched item??

jeric

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 04:30:23 pm »
I think templates are not such a good idea. Let's not be lazy and further more indivual item placement is on of the charms of the game.

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 03:56:14 pm »
I support this idea. I have seen this used in some Xbox games and it has simplified choices (i think you can modify these templates too)
quickly.

I myself find that I often switch weapons lateron in UFO:AI (to test them etc), and then when I am lazy I dont remove the ammu always.
And sometimes my grenade launching guy dies, in which case I would like to have a template ready to replace him with all the equip
he carries.

"I think templates are not such a good idea. Let's not be lazy and further more indivual item placement is on of the charms of the game."

Templates would I believe in this case be an ADDITIONAL option, you could still use individual item placement/selection.

I do not think that having an option for templates would ruin the charm of the game, but in case people never want to use a template,
there could be an option in the configure menu to specifically enable/disable it, to make everyone happy as they can select how to "play".

"Let's not be lazy" should not be a synonym to make the game harder to play.  Templates could simplify the game a tiny bit and thus would be a good idea.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 04:19:29 pm »
They have also been on the drawing board for about a year or so.

Honestly, people accuse us of not providing a roadmap, but it's not like they bother to look themselves. This has been asked (and answered) multiple times already.

nemchenk

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 04:21:40 pm »
Where, BTAxis? A link here would be much appreciated.

nemchenk

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 04:25:28 pm »
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2134.0

Ta-dah. For more references, use the search.

nemchenk

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 04:30:43 pm »
Much obliged :)

However, I was more thinking of a link to the roadmap for UFO:AI :(

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 04:37:02 pm »
There is none. Nor will there be one. This is mainly because 1) nobody wants to make one and maintain it and 2) the design is fluid. We only have a rough vision of the complete game, and details are added in as we go along.

We do have a TODO, though: http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/TODO
That's the closest you're going to get to a roadmap. We still add stuff to it, though.