project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Just want to say Thanks!!!  (Read 4477 times)

CapnKill

Just want to say Thanks!!!
« on: February 13, 2009, 08:29:18 pm »
I'm a huge X-Com fan as many people are and me and my friend have been looking all over the place for a good turn based squad combat multiplayer game. 

There's a number of these games available but they either don't  have multiplayer or something is always lacking.  I didn't care much for Fallout Tactics MP system and the JA2 MP Patch is ok but has many issues.

We actually just purchased Laser Squad Nemesis and are looking forward to playing that but that's more of an email turn based thing. 

Anywho, yesterday I stumbled over this project here, and let me just say that I am thoroughly impressed.  We fired up a MP game last night and had a great time!!! 

It's all about the little things you know... right clicking in a direction and having your player look that way as we used to do in X-Com.  Being able to save turns for reaction fire, naming your squad members, etc...etc... saving your squad and all that.  It's really very well done, and we had a blast with it.

So just wanted to say THANKS for making this and we're looking forward to the next release.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Just want to say Thanks!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 08:43:30 pm »
I know this is the standard sales pitch (minus the sales), but if you like the game you're more than welcome to contribute to its progress.

CapnKill

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 09:50:46 pm »
The best I can do right now is report bugs, so I'll definitely do that as I encounter them.

I recall in the original x-com that if I walk over the corpses of one of my fellow marines or an alien I can pick stuff up from the ground that they had... I don't think I'm seeing that in this game... is that expected?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 01:07:49 am »
You cannot carry corpses (by design).

-geever

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 01:22:34 am »
He's not talking about the corpses, he's talking about the equipment they had when they died. You're supposed to be able to pick it up, but it might be broken.

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 12:07:32 am »
The best I can do right now is report bugs, so I'll definitely do that as I encounter them.

I recall in the original x-com that if I walk over the corpses of one of my fellow marines or an alien I can pick stuff up from the ground that they had... I don't think I'm seeing that in this game... is that expected?

I haven't tried very often, so I couldn't tell you if the gear's usually vaporized or if it's sporadically broken, but if you access the (live) soldier's inventory management screen while he's standing on the very same square as the corpse, you should be able to pick up gear if you have the requisite action points and space.  At least in 2.2.1, it appears on the bottom box (the 'stuff on the ground' box). 

Only major inventory-related bug in 2.2.1 I've noticed was occasionally having gear vaporize when my team returned, like one time seeing multiple laser rifles (that had been brought to the mission and used -- not that the 2.2.1 aliens carry lasers to pick up anyway, methinks) vanish.  That was annoying.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 10:01:01 am »
Only major inventory-related bug in 2.2.1 I've noticed was occasionally having gear vaporize when my team returned, like one time seeing multiple laser rifles (that had been brought to the mission and used -- not that the 2.2.1 aliens carry lasers to pick up anyway, methinks) vanish.  That was annoying.
Not autosold accidently? Check the autosell checkboxes on Buy/Sell screen.

-geever

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 10:24:55 pm »
Doesn't seem likely.  I don't see anything labeled as an autosell button in 2.2.1 on the equipment screen, and I recall it only being intermittent -- should have been more common.  Might have been relating to having temporarily dropped a laser rifle to free up some hand space, 'tho; might have gotten it to be flagged as battle loot, although I don't see why it would have been sold when there wasn't exactly a surplus of laser rifles back in base.  *shrug*

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 11:06:53 pm »
Not equipment screen but buy/sell screen. There are such checkboxes in 2.2.1.

-geever

CapnKill

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 08:33:19 pm »
He's not talking about the corpses, he's talking about the equipment they had when they died. You're supposed to be able to pick it up, but it might be broken.

I'd say so far in my 1 week experience with the game I've played about 99% of it in Multiplayer... so that is where I'm not seeing the dead soldiers equipment on the ground.  I will also try it in single player and then log a bug accordingly if I find the same.

I have some questions regarding game play, namely reaction fire...  I noticed that soldiers only return fire after being fired upon... shoudl I expect a scenario where a soldier would return fire just because an enemy has entered his line of sight?  Also is there a section where all the stats are described and what they effect... like does STR affect how much stuff you can carry, and what effects my ability to perform reaction fire..etc..etc... I know this isn't the right thread toa sk all of this in, so I appologize for that in advance.   Still finding my way around here :)