project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Intercepting  (Read 4001 times)

strokerman

Intercepting
« on: February 06, 2008, 07:31:58 am »
So I just started playing the game, and within a short period a UFO starts buzzing around my base.  I launched my interceptors but they just sit by my base not doing anything. How do I get the interceptors to pursue an enemy UFO?

Thanks

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Intercepting
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 09:02:43 am »
equip it with weapons and ammunition (and don't forget the shield - otherwise it wouldn't come far)

also it's a good idea to not use one interceptor for fighting one or more ufos

Woreczko

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 11:51:12 am »
Shield?? You mean that jamming "Raven" thingy? It seems to help a bit. Unfortunately armour doesn`t make any difference, at least I never noticed any - if hit, my airships were always destroyed....

Which leads me to a brilliant thought: If the crashed UFOs can land, why can`t PHALANX`s ships? So that it was possible to rescue some survivors and gear. We could even have a mission "Secure the crash of PHALANX aircraft". If you refuse to secure the wreckage, aliens may hack into the aircraft`s black box and figure out the location of it`s home base. Which would lead to repeated assaults and the need to abandon the base.  :D

PS: Yeah, yeah, I know the answer - You are free to code it yourself and send the patch :'(

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 01:00:51 pm »
So I just started playing the game, and within a short period a UFO starts buzzing around my base.  I launched my interceptors but they just sit by my base not doing anything. How do I get the interceptors to pursue an enemy UFO?

How do you launch your interceptors ? You should be able to pursue UFO by clicking on the UFO (twice if needed), and selecting the interceptor you want to send. You can't send an interceptor pursuing UFO from aircraft menu in base.

strokerman

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:44:01 pm »
I tried to do that.  I go to my aircraft, launch the interceptor and then head back to the world view.  There is my interceptor, just hanging out by my base and the UFO is flying all over the place.  So, I click on the UFO and all it ever says is "No weapon, vehicle etc. within range" and gives me no option to choose my fighter.  Am I doing something wrong?

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 11:11:44 pm »
I tried to do that.  I go to my aircraft, launch the interceptor and then head back to the world view.  There is my interceptor, just hanging out by my base and the UFO is flying all over the place.  So, I click on the UFO and all it ever says is "No weapon, vehicle etc. within range" and gives me no option to choose my fighter.  Am I doing something wrong?
There are 2 possibilities:
  • either your aircraft does not have weapon or ammo: check in the equip menu of your aircraft
  • or the UFO is too far from your base, and your interceptor doesn't have enough to reach UFO: wait that it comes closer

Serrax

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 10:43:33 am »
@strokerman:

There are 2 possibilities:

* either your aircraft does not have weapon or ammo: check in the equip menu of your aircraft
    * or the UFO is too far from your base, and your interceptor doesn't have enough to reach UFO: wait that it comes closer
Or you set up an 'air patrol' as i did for a long time.

For that (v2.2.) go to your interceptors in the base and click on the start-button. The game switches back to global scale and near the base you have an icon for your interceptor.

This interceptor you can direct where you like it to patrol on the may - as long as it is in range. Therefor simply click on the destination. The interceptor will move there an stay as long as its fuel last.

I used to have 6 or 8 interceptors per base and placed 3 of them in a triangle around my base. This was the only way to ensure that I got my heavily armed and armored Stilettos in combat range to most UFOs.

But ensure, that your interceptors patrol in just half of your rage of radar - as it'll loose track on the UFO if that retreat. In addition to that, I had one time an UFO shooting down my interceptor beyond the range of my radar as my interceptor lost the track.

cu