project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: various Visual Identities make a world convincing  (Read 27268 times)

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: various Visual Identities make a world convincing
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 06:57:47 am »
The X-circle-crosshairs-thingy being my first idea.

I'm trying to go for something with a strong graphic element that can be recognized in a variety of contexts.  A more elaborate crest-like version with "PHALANX" spelled out, i haven't done here.

The blue represents earth, the red represents and external threat, and the black represents the secret organization that protects earth... unless i find something that looks better.

I'm not sure what i think about this, but i'm sure leaving it out overnight under the collective eyes of the internet will clarify my thoughts.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Blywulf

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 10:04:01 am »
The black circle with those thorn-like shapes looks a bit like a crosshair to me. I dont really associate that with protection. So if you want to modify anything, that's where I'd start.
I've also expected a more traditional logo, closely attached to the greek Phalanx theme :P.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 10:29:40 am »
which reminds me - the red cursor we have in battlescape could also need some tweaking - also some proper license ;)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 11:59:57 am »
This is much too abstract, I think -- I couldn't possibly think of it as the visual identity of anything. A good logo has to communicate something. Like Blywulf said, I was expecting something more traditional with a Greek phalanx feel to it.

Regards,
Winter

Blywulf

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 02:24:39 pm »
If I may suggest something, I'd move in this direction:

I think it should resemble a mission patch that space shuttle astronauts wear on their space suits. A latin sentence located somewhere on the badge is a must ;D

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 02:25:56 pm »
Oh, I like that one.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 03:06:37 pm »
As do I, although I'm still attached to the crossed spears emblem . . . Maybe we could have two logos -- one for the old, 1950s PHALANX, and one for the new revitalised version?

Regards,
Winter

nemchenk

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 12:28:06 am »
Looks awesome :D That should be in ancient Greek though, right? Phalanx?  ;)

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 01:23:27 am »
There's some mistaken preconceptions here.  Note the following symbols...
They are both extremely simple and very easy to recognize, and well known.  None of these shapes and colors originally were associated with whatever they now represent, and yet (possibly excluding the RAF symbol) there are among the most successful visual identities.

When the logo will often be seen at a small size, the importance of easy-recognition and simplicity is multiplied.

I'm expecting to use the symbol on the armor and/or helmet and the aircraft wings.  Something with the complexity of a NASA mission patch wouldn't work well in these situations.  Note that my "cross-hairs" is recognizable even reduced to one color, IMHO a necessity for some uses.

It could possibly in some other contexts, such as on the wall at the entrance of the base  where a more complex version with name and motto included could be used. But that's a secondary use, and it's much easier to fancy up a simple identity than simplify one that's too complex.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 02:58:07 am »
There's some mistaken preconceptions here.  Note the following symbols...
They are both extremely simple and very easy to recognize, and well known.  None of these shapes and colors originally were associated with whatever they now represent, and yet (possibly excluding the RAF symbol) there are among the most successful visual identities.

When the logo will often be seen at a small size, the importance of easy-recognition and simplicity is multiplied.

I'm expecting to use the symbol on the armor and/or helmet and the aircraft wings.  Something with the complexity of a NASA mission patch wouldn't work well in these situations.  Note that my "cross-hairs" is recognizable even reduced to one color, IMHO a necessity for some uses.

It could possibly in some other contexts, such as on the wall at the entrance of the base  where a more complex version with name and motto included could be used. But that's a secondary use, and it's much easier to fancy up a simple identity than simplify one that's too complex.

That's all well and good, but the fact is that I'm not feeling anything looking at your proposal. Nor am I thinking anything -- you'd have to have it explained to you, know exactly what the individual pieces are, in order to make any sense of it.

These other logos you've pointed out have clear visual or cultural messages/meanings. The Nike swoosh is an image that implies speed. The Nazis used the swastika on their flags because of its use in old Norse runes. The RAF colours are the colours of the Union Jack. And the peace symbol . . . Well, god knows where that's from, it's always been rather meaningless to me -- but it is still instantly recognisable as a unique emblem. There is only one use of that particular shape, that being the peace symbol. Coloured circles, on the other hand, are fairly common by comparison.

Your logo just doesn't have a unique visual, it doesn't have a clear visual message or cultural meaning. That's why I have the problems with it that I do.

Regards,
Winter

nemchenk

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 10:22:29 am »
eleazar, what about reversing the ticks on the x? That's the problem with it I think -- that it looks too much like a cross-hair. EDIT: Something like the rough mockup here:

BTW, does Humanity 80-years from now consider the Moon to be part of the Earth-Moon system?

Finally, the Union Jack is a good example -- while the RAF badge has its colours, the flag itself is actually quite a complex layering of different flags. So, the RAF badge is actually a simplification of a more complex visual identity... ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 10:36:56 am by nemchenk »

Guildenstern

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 12:30:58 pm »
Okay, I've got a rough idea on what might work for the Phalanx flag.  The earth in greek symbol is a crosshair (not an x, but a plus with a circle around it)  and the symbol for moon is a cresent moon upright.  So what if we take the Earth symbol and place it to the left of the flag and the moon symbol on the right in the center could be some sword/spear combination with a latin phrase inscribed on a circle forming the field.  What comes to mind for the center graphic is a rampant shield with a spear crossing it.  This should place the spear and shield between Earth (Us) and the Moon(Outside).  Does this work okay or do we need a new symbol for outside?  A prototype should be forthcoming once I build it and host it somewhere.

Guildenstern

Jagger

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 09:16:04 am »
I'm in NZ, Born and Raised, I like the most recently posted Oceania, I would have placed more emphasis on the southern cross as Oceania to me is majorly Australia+NZ (Population) as Japan etc. is generally considered Asian. But that'll be because I'm in the region, skewed viewpoint.

Peace symbol is a combination of N and D in Sempahore. Nuclear Disarmament, grew to be anti-war in general, hence peace.
The more you know...

I would personally try (And may end up trying, although any 2d art I do will just be concept, to flesh out my ideas for better artists to consider) to incorporate a shield into the logo, as part of the phalanx thing (A major part of the greek phalanx was the shield) and an overall feeling of defending the earth, spear is good as it gives the feeling of agressive defense (Offense) without the nastiness that a gun says, as well as the whole phalanx thing.

Not too fond of the moon = outside idea, Phalanx was put in place to defend from aliens, and it was always assumed that they were outer solar system at the closest (I'm sure you all know the spoilers) so moon probably wouldn't represent outside suitably. Maybe look at something traditional for a defense force and say that they kept the 1950's phalanx flag or dont show the old flag and only reference it.
I guess if art was provided for 50's and modern Phalanx and they worked in that context, use both in the game.

And yes I am aware I sound pretentious, I like to be thorough so that someone can get something from what I say. It's worth it if it helps improvement.

Guildenstern

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 05:23:30 pm »
Perhaps tossing the moon symbol out and moving the shield and spear onto a low- res earth graphic with a starfield behind it?  We could then have a ring of white "atmosphere" around the Earth graphic in which to place writing of some sort.  This would also give us a patch version by dumping the starfield.

Do we like that idea better?
  Guildenstern

Offline UlteriorMotives

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2009, 12:50:48 am »
Posted these under a new topic earlier not having seen this thread. No idea if the flags are set in stone already, but here's some designs I came up with:

Asian Republic - tried to use symbols from the more prominent Asian countries Korea (taegeuk), Japan (rays from the naval flag), and China (yellow stars on red).

New Africa - Took three of the panafrican colors, red, yellow, and green and combined them in a flag similar to Burkina Faso's, except with a vertical bicolor as opposed to a horizontal one.

Middle-Eastern Alliance - Picked the Panarabic colors and arranged them in five stripes so that they still feature the former flags of non-Arabic countries such as Iran and Afghanistan.