project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Workaround for get an UFO Scout?  (Read 3740 times)

FloppyX

Workaround for get an UFO Scout?
« on: March 19, 2008, 07:47:28 pm »
First of all I want to say that this remake of X-Com is really good, congrats to the developers and keep up the good work ;)

I have the problem of not getting an UFO Scout after more than 40 missions, I have a UFO Fighter but can research anything because I need the Scout first.

Is there any way of solve this? I have thought of saving the game when a mission appears, look at the map name loaded, then going into the map folder and switch the maps for this mission, putting a UFO Scout landing mission and then reload the game and playing this one to get the UFO Scout, but I don't know the map name for the UFO Scout landing so I can't test this, so if you know a map name with an UFO Scout landed please post it here, thanks :)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Workaround for get an UFO Scout?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 08:01:12 pm »
I don't know of a good solution for you right now, but I can tell you that in 2.2.1, you won't need the Scout anymore. You will be able to research UFO Theory from any captured UFO.

Offline kracken

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 04:08:28 pm »
I have thought of saving the game when a mission appears, look at the map name loaded, then going into the map folder and switch the maps for this mission, putting a UFO Scout landing mission and then reload the game and playing this one to get the UFO Scout
This is not going to work. You'll have to edit the missions.ufo file if you want to add a mission with a UFO Scout.

nemchenk

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 04:43:43 pm »
kracken is right -- here are some more detailed instructions:

1) Wait until you get the next mission. Write down the Location that comes up -- you will use this to find and modify the mission.
2) Quit the game. Using your favourite archiver, e.g. 7-zip.com, unzip 0ufos.pk3 into into the base/ subdirectory of your UFO installation directory, so you end up with base/ufos/.
3) Using your favourite text-editor, edit missions.ufo from that directory. Search for a mission whose Location matches the one you wrote down in step (1). Once you've found it, add the following line to it:
Code: [Select]
        onwin           "cp_uforecovery 0;"4) Restart the game, play the mission. If you win, you should have a Scout UFO.

HTH,

nemchenk

FloppyX

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 08:03:06 pm »
Thanks for the help, I did that and now I can research some new techs :D