project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Request: finding hidden weapons and ammo in missions  (Read 3617 times)

sirg

Request: finding hidden weapons and ammo in missions
« on: February 05, 2008, 10:33:06 am »
There are several maps with various crates, shelves, containers and so on. I think it would be nice to be able to interact with those or at least finding some equipment in them, like a rifle, ammo, a medikit, grenades, and other surprises.

I'm not asking to place a rocket launcher and missiles inside someone's bedroom, but this could be arranged in such a manner that it won't be unrealistic. This would make people scout the map more and add more fun to the missions.

I really want to see at least one civilian trying to put a fight. Some should have at least a pistol, until you implement some of the proposed "civilian weapons". Consider this - if the population knows that the world is attacked and terrorized by aliens, almost everyone would have a weapon of some sort.. don't you agree?

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Request: finding hidden weapons and ammo in missions
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 10:05:59 pm »
I really want to see at least one civilian trying to put a fight. Some should have at least a pistol, until you implement some of the proposed "civilian weapons". Consider this - if the population knows that the world is attacked and terrorized by aliens, almost everyone would have a weapon of some sort.. don't you agree?

It would be realistic for some of the civies to be armed, but it's also more annoying for the player.  He's trying to keep the death-toll down.  A civilian who runs away is more likely to survive than one that attacks the aliens with something pitifully inadequate.

sirg

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 11:29:20 pm »
I think it's far more harder to code excellent pathfinding to the civilians and decent AI, then to give them some weapons... it's for the fun factor, rather than helping you.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 11:58:04 pm »
I think it's far more harder to code excellent pathfinding to the civilians and decent AI...

You don't need "excellent pathfinding" and a "decent AI" to simulate panicked flight.

They just need to go away from any aliens they see/hear until they run into an obstacle.

Then they could cower (crouch) or randomly choose another direction.

Offline TroubleMaker

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 05:48:40 am »
I really want to see at least one civilian trying to put a fight.
It is especially wanted for military personnel in "Bunker" and "Convoy" maps - unarmed military men looks too strange.

I've already wrote similar proposal. And, yeah, they should have an AI not much smarter than they have now.

sirg

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 07:59:46 am »
I came with this idea because the mission is to protect/save civilians, BUT what happens is that you can't save most of them anyway because some of the civilians are very far from your starting location, and to near from aliens.

Ofc their weapons would be ineffective, and even the military gear is somewhat ineffective at 1st, but it would be interesting to see some civilians shoting at aliens then running. I'm not saying that all should do that.

As a further suggestion I think that civilians should have more TUs, because they die so easy. I think they should run away from the area they hear shooting, instead of wandering around.

It would be nice to hear them screaming or displaying a text in a bubble (emotes) like - aliens! help, etc..

Sacrusha

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 08:15:31 pm »
You don't need "excellent pathfinding" and a "decent AI" to simulate panicked flight.

They just need to go away from any aliens they see/hear until they run into an obstacle.

Then they could cower (crouch) or randomly choose another direction.
Actually, panic behaviour is implemented already (but civilians don't use it right now).

Woreczko

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 12:20:23 am »
Actually someone already thought about arming "civilians":
Code: [Select]
equipment human_farmers // some will be weaponless
{
pistol 2
pistol_ammo 2
shotgun 5
shotgun_ammo 6
fraggrenade 1
knife 2
}

equipment human_gang
{
assault 1
assault_ammo 1
pistol 3
pistol_ammo 4
shotgun 1
shotgun_ammo 1
smg 10
smg_ammo 45
rpg 1
rpg_ammo 1
fraggrenade 1
smokegrenade 1
stungrenade 1
knife 20
}

equipment human_police // some may be weaponless
{
pistol 10
pistol_ammo 25
shotgun 5
shotgun_ammo 7
sniper 1
sniper_ammo 1
fraggrenade 2
smokegrenade 2
stungrenade 2
light     7
}

But it sadly didn`t make it to the playable form. :(
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 12:22:03 am by Woreczko »

sirg

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 02:21:40 pm »
Let's hope it's under developement. Right now the civilians are very dumb, wandering around while shot at.