project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Interface efficiency  (Read 2153 times)

btfx

Interface efficiency
« on: February 05, 2008, 04:58:25 pm »
Hello everyone. Great game you're working on I know the developers are overworked as is, but I suppose this is something of a feature request. Now bear in mind that I'm a CompSci student too, so I understand your woes.

The other day I was wondering what kept me from playing the original X-Com game(s). I realized it wasn't the graphics or even the lack of an intelligent AI to play against, rather it's the lack of efficient features. This seems to be something your project is well aware of. One feature that I feel is missing is the ability to save a soldier's setup. For example if I wanted a squad of 2 snipers 2 grenadiers and 4 assault troops I could create one of each and copy-paste their equipment to the rest. All I'm saying is that it's a pain in the arse to reequip troops when they have healed, or when they have been hired. This is somewhat reminiscent of the pre-mission equip screen in X-Com, where you had to rearrange arms and ammunition for 10 minutes prior to each mission. Otherwise you could settle for a squad that didn't match its soldier's strengths to the weapon in their hands.

I suppose it's no hurry, maybe for 2.3? But really, keep in mind those things that make you stop having fun while playing. Since I don't know many people who can't wait for their mission to end so that can fly to base and reequip, that part of the game should be smooth and take a minimal amount of effort. Also people would have an easier time starting new games.

Just my 2 cents =)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Interface efficiency
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 05:05:46 pm »
This is definitely something we are shooting for. Want to help us make it?

btfx

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 02:34:38 am »
Well, ehrm... I suppose. I don't have any "real" programming experience, just the usual: screwing a bit with SDL and the standard libraries... But I suppose I could peek at the code and figure some things out. Is there some sort of quick guide? Something to start from? Link?

DaCheetah

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 12:02:49 pm »
I've noticed that my soldiers equipment not only automatically re-stocks, but also saves.  I've put some of my operatives in the hospital in my time, but they also kept their inventory.  In fact, I didn't even take them off the plane.  This is a good idea though, a saved profile you can apply to your soldier's skillset.