project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Better soldier recruiting interface and management  (Read 2778 times)

sirg

Better soldier recruiting interface and management
« on: February 04, 2008, 09:12:43 am »
This is one of the things that hasn't been improved, and it really makes things harder later on when you have lots of candidates.

Suggestions:

* a sorting feature, to sort soldiers by a certain skill, like when I'm searching for a good sniper, I want to see who's best at it
* a tab to separate the list of assigned/employed soldiers from the candidates
* a remove from list feature (please) sometimes the list has very mediocre soldiers which will never see action under my command, so they are just taking space in that list.
* the option to change the number of your soldier in the squad
* when transfering a craft, transfer the people assigned to it too, or make it optional (someone suggested that, and it's a very good idea)
* soldiers should transfer with their equiped gear
* name and health bar displayed in battlemode (optional, but I would really want that, like toggling their name/health with a key)
* gear templates
* how about a 1st aid skill?

SpaceWombat

Re: Better soldier recruiting interface and management
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 01:36:47 pm »
You might want to read this topic as well
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2153.0  ;)

You make some good additional points, though.
First aid skill would be nice. Adds some new class to the game, a field medic. This especially is a gain when your hero soldiers become really valuable.
I also support the sorting tabs and search filters for recruitment, let's see what the devs think is possible.

sirg

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 01:48:50 pm »
Yes, I read your post and you made some very good comments, but I wanted to compile a short list with everything I thought that would be nice to have.
I guess that a better interface or system would please everyone.

Sacrusha

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 11:22:54 am »
Is somebody working at an interface cleanup now or in the near future? If not I might want to give it a try and do a complete makeover in may.

I'm thinlking of an OS X inspired design to arrange lots of functionality in very little space.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 12:07:19 pm »
There is some development, but it probably won't be realized in the near future. You're welcome to give it a shot.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 12:09:05 pm »
there is a graphic side of improvements - but i'm not sure about the status - Blywulf and Winter are working on this part - but no code (or script) until now.

btw. welcome back Sacrusha ;-)