project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Feature Request  (Read 2873 times)

mash

Feature Request
« on: January 29, 2008, 08:54:01 pm »
hi,
  Great game,
  humbly, here are some suggestion/request i have

1. would really really appreciate the ability to save game while playing a map. Every Xcom game has this feature
      or at least the ability to back track 2-3 rounds
  2. ability to select a squad. for example moving all or some soldiers to a building with one click. (shft-click to select more soldiers)
  3. I have to wait for a soldier to finish his/her move before I can select another soldier to move. I think each move should run in a   thread,
  4. once you move over a dead body and check whats on the ground, the dead body does not show.

thanks

SpaceWombat

Re: Feature Request
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 09:03:56 pm »
Hello,

I'm not sure about number 1. This would take away some of the thrill because you can look what's behind the next door and then try another. It would make the game much easier as I think.

As far as I know number 2 & 3 will be worked on or are being worked on right now.

I had a similar experience as you describe under point 4. I had shot down an alien on a stair. The body disappeared and only the gun lay on the stairs. Nothing critical but I think this should be fixed some day.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 09:21:55 pm »
1. is not going to happen. See this thread.
2. is doubtful. There are no plans for it.
3. I don't know about, but it is definitely something the game needs. mattn?
4. is a bug. Is it on sourceforge?

mash

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 11:17:19 pm »
Thanks for reply,

I kind of guessed #1 would run into resistance. but I want to try to make an argument for it. please bare my rant below

I think to save during a mission is choice for the gamer and its unfair if it is dictated to the people,
   I gather that this is a feature in demand,  So why not satisfy the consumer? we can make a compromise
   for example we can begin the game by selecting  a difficulty levels, with the most difficult level removing
   the ability to save during combat.

most games that have given more choice or control to gamers have been popular and addictive
   for example in command-and-conquer and (many other games) you can actually load up your weapon stats from an ini file
   and weapon stats can be modified. this has added to longevity of the game

again thanks for the great job, looks really good

SpaceWombat

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 11:28:30 pm »
Maybe we could start a poll on this to see if anyone is interested at all?
I personally think that is something the devs should decide because it is a matter of balancing of the difficulty level of the whole game.

If at any means this will be considered to be implemented my vote is for very easy and maybe easy difficulty only since you can retry anyway and tactical missions do not take too long.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 11:36:21 pm »
We already made our decision on this, as you can read in that thread. Polls aren't going to change our minds.

SpaceWombat

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 11:09:07 am »
We already made our decision on this, as you can read in that thread. Polls aren't going to change our minds.

Ok that sounds definite.

About the squad forming thing. I think it can be useful if you form a group of soldiers that combines different weapons categories and will move tactical.
For example a shotgun soldier in front with reaction fire on high, a sniper/assaulter behind for cover fire or as a main weapon. The group should move together keeping relative positions.
But this might be too much effort for too little gain.

sirg

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 11:03:51 pm »

Too bad, because X-COM had this feature, and I don't see it as cheating, but as something useful. From my experience, I always retry the mission until none from my squad dies.. so it's either luck or more time wasted, and now I'm reffering to those times when you spend 15 mins to hunt the last alien and it slices your best soldier with a kerrblade before getting shot :)

You can save the game in geoscape, change the game difficulty, increase gamma until night becomes day... so people can chose alot, in order to have the game experience they want.

Not saving during the battles is called ironman mode, and several games had it, including JA2 and Fallout tactics, but they still had a normal mode where you could save.........