project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: The backgrounds graphics used are really ugly  (Read 4390 times)

Takai

The backgrounds graphics used are really ugly
« on: December 21, 2007, 05:23:12 am »
Grey thing. Remind me of these old Amiga computers (Workbench, browsers, late games).

It wasn't like that even in Amiga X-COM. Please fix it.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: The backgrounds graphics used are really ugly
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 07:13:13 am »
what exactly are you talking about?

Takai

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 11:39:23 pm »

Takai

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 11:10:32 am »
How about, instead of a weird computer terminal with a case made out of polished stone(??), make it look just like a PC computer screen (with a program running on)?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 11:14:13 am by Takai »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 12:33:51 pm »
We will not change this for a while.

Aiki-Knight

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 12:57:50 am »
I'm sorry, but I think this is an extremely demanding criticism. The game itself is such a huge undertaking that now can hardly be the time to tweak such a detail. I hadn't noticed the detail myself, and look forward to the developers' work on the major aspects of the game. The terminal looks fine as it is, and is intuitive in its current state.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 01:34:56 am »
I agree it's not pretty, but it works.

If someone wanted to provide a better set of graphics, i expect the team would look at them.

But since the content of the GUI is going to change, and there are lots of unimplemented planned features, it's hard to see this as a priority.

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 05:31:53 pm »
I do have a GUI template for the current style at.

http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/User_talk:Psawhn

Anybody's welcome to modify the files to change the background. Here's a quick example I whipped up:

DaNippers

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 08:05:27 pm »
Grey thing. Remind me of these old Amiga computers (Workbench, browsers, late games).

It wasn't like that even in Amiga X-COM. Please fix it.

While I will agree that the GUI is not the most attractive one on the planet... No one is Paying these Fine Men and Women for all this work, now if you'd like to have it fixed and it bugs you THAT much, I am sure they will except Pay-pal :) Also for another option, as Psawhn almost pointed out, It is open source so you're welcome to go in and fix it, I'm sure they would welcome the extra Comrade on GUI duty :)  Also as Eleazar pointed out, The games still tweeking alot of features so why mess with something that works when most of the stuff they have planned or may plan in months to come are not working yet. I myself would enjoy multi-layer bases, but meh, I can't code it so I am just happy they were Kind enough to use their individual and team talents for something Grand and rare such as Sharing a Great concept with NO fees etc. It's rare to find a person, Much less a GROUP of persons that will sit down and make a game with No fee and No thanks... I myself will take whatever these talented individuals make and be thankful they were one of the rare breed. :) But again  DOOOOO please step up and "politely" help them improve this game :)

SpaceWombat

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 08:08:22 pm »
I would prefer do have the buttons and mouse cursor changed.  :D

But let's develop on the other issues first since the menus are doing fine right now.
Maybe some day we can have several "modpacks" for the graphics.
When the storyline and the game mechanisms are mostly done there is time to brush the menu metal.  ;)