project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Intercepting UFOs  (Read 5427 times)

devilcrayon

Intercepting UFOs
« on: January 17, 2008, 12:24:02 am »
I don't know if this is by design or a bug, but it seems like the first UFO I track on radar I can launch a fighter and it will shoot it down and probably get shot down at the same time.  After that. every UFO that shows up on radar turns around and flees as soon as a fighter is launched, disappearing from radar almost immediately.  I've tried giving them some more time to get closer in toward the base before launching a fighter, but they still turn and flee, totally uncatchable. 

canahari

Re: Intercepting UFOs
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 12:31:53 am »
I don't know if this is by design or a bug, but it seems like the first UFO I track on radar I can launch a fighter and it will shoot it down and probably get shot down at the same time.  After that. every UFO that shows up on radar turns around and flees as soon as a fighter is launched, disappearing from radar almost immediately.  I've tried giving them some more time to get closer in toward the base before launching a fighter, but they still turn and flee, totally uncatchable. 

Hello!

Try to produce a Saracen-class interceptor, it's faster.

devilcrayon

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 12:37:36 am »
Is that one only available by production? I've bought at least one of each of the purchasable interceptors.

canahari

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 12:45:07 am »
Is that one only available by production? I've bought at least one of each of the purchasable interceptors.

Well... You BOUGHT a vehicle? How did you that?

devilcrayon

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 12:50:44 am »
From the screen where you assign soldiers to your dropship and equip your interceptors, there's a 'buy' button. You can buy aircraft and equipment for them, like targeting computers and weapons and whatnot.

canahari

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 11:09:22 am »
From the screen where you assign soldiers to your dropship and equip your interceptors, there's a 'buy' button. You can buy aircraft and equipment for them, like targeting computers and weapons and whatnot.

Really... :)) I didn't find it, I supposed this isn't implemented yet :)
Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

DaNippers

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 02:23:22 am »
They seem to not see my sereon stealth ship, at least for about 12 strikes or so, they then run from there on out... Also they kill the sereon quickly so it catches them but can't do more then blow up most of the time, this could be fixed with better tech upgrades to ships. And more equipment for ships too.. maybe mack some tech trees for attack ships, dropships and equipment for them...

Offline tobbe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 09:44:57 am »
Working with 2.2 release

@canahari: A Saracen is as fast as a stiletto, and therefore just more expensive and has fewer weapon slots.

@DaNippers: Sereon Stealth ship?? Whats that? I am right now tweaking the aircraftstats a little to make dogfights more interesting and i didnt see such a ship in the codes???

BY the way, once I am done with tweaking the aircraft, anyone interested to give it a try?

DaNippers

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 04:40:01 pm »
I Named it wrong, lol been a couple days since I played it, lol It's the Saracen-Interceptor, lol Last game I played yesterday, they ran everytime I braught out my Interceptor, lol Sorry about the confusion, lol

Mustang

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 01:12:57 pm »
Something else that I have found may work is equipping your drop ship with two ECM units.  That should help with survivability.  If I am correct in what I saw, one encounter I had a UFO fired all his missiles at my drop ship and missed, then I was able to shoot him down with an interceptor without a fight.  That's assuming all that is implemented in the game, which I'm not really sure that detail is there, but it sure seemed to be cause it worked perfectly.

canahari

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 04:23:19 pm »
I found it absolutely useful to attack the alien ships with more interceptors.
Um, I used 8 of these (3 or 4 little hangars), but they shot down _every_ ufo I seen :P

DaNippers

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 12:13:39 am »
I send them 2 at a time. I'll usually lose one of my interceptors but it gets shot down anyways.. lol

Offline Valaska

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 02:48:45 am »
A good way to get UFO's is build 4 bases in a square so something like

X ---- X
|        |
|        |
X ---- X

X's being the bases.. And then;

X -u-- X
|        |
|        |
X ---- X

U being a UFO, here you have a choice, send your top right interceptors at it, it'll flush the UFO towards the other base, after you send those interceptors out, bring your interceptors from the top left, so

X>-U< X
|        |
|        |
X ---- X

The > and < being interceptors, this way it flushes UFO into the other base, and in the square you can flush a UFO into another base 80% of the time, only problem is timing when you intercept them to keep you from making those punks hit the drink when yah down them.

Happy hunting.