project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: install path too long  (Read 2395 times)

SpaceWombat

install path too long
« on: January 17, 2008, 10:49:45 am »
Good morning folks.

When I installed the 2.2 version I ran into a problem. I installed ufo:ai into a subfolder of my "my files" folder. Installation completed successfully but when I startet the game an error message popped up saying the installation path was too long. I move the Folder to c:\games\ufo ai\ or something and then it worked. Can this be fixed or is it a problem according to path handling on different systems?

My System:
Windows XP SP2, german language (folder was c:\dokumente und einstellungen\user\eigene dateien\spiele\... ok, this is quiet long  ::) )

I think I had this problem with an older version, too. But I cannot remember exactly what system and which version I used then.

Hope this can be fixed some day.

SpaceWombat

Re: install path too long
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 03:45:53 pm »
Is there anything you can do about this?
Has anyone else encountered the same problem? On other OS?

I do not want to get on your nerves but I think the times of too long folder names etc. should be over since Win2000.  :D

There is no need to solve it quickly but please give me a hint whether this is on some kind of low priority todo list.  ;)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 08:46:29 pm »
you can compile the game yourself (see the wiki, it's quite easy) and increase the MAX_OSPATH variable to something higher

SpaceWombat

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 05:40:10 am »
Thanks for the hint.
Is this going to be standard in next versions? Is there any reason whyt this variable should not be at maximum by default?
I've installed it for now and I won't recompile it for 2.2 but thanks again for your help.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 07:15:36 am »
yes, i've increased the max path length to 256