project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Soldier Skills  (Read 8936 times)

Offline shazzi2k

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Soldier Skills
« on: September 06, 2008, 06:14:23 pm »
I am curious to know about soldier skills. Can they be improved? like on Xcom Defence?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier Skills
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 07:03:44 pm »
Use the search.

MIKED

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 12:18:56 am »
I think it would be cool if there were some kind of training missions where you could expend ammo and improve your soldier skill ratings by letting them practice on some kind of targets.  It is not necessary to actually allow people to control the training missions, but you could send your soldiers on these kind of excursions, making them unavailable for missions for the duration of their training.  When they return, they would have improved skill levels.  It seems to me that from playing version 2.2 all the way through a couple of times, and now trying 2.3, soldiers never advance to high ranks or very high skill levels.

Aiki-Knight

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 08:18:55 am »
The only thing I can say about this is that, in order to get excellent agents, I only have 10 agents, of whom two are backups. I undergo every ground mission possible, and I expend considerable air assets to create as many ground missions as possible. It's October (in the game) and I've got two Warrant Officers, I think 3 or 4 sergeants, and the rest corporals, except for the backups, who are still riflemen or maybe a Lance-Corporal. If the game were potentially endless (***hoping***), I could really put together a team of ultra-veterans whose fantastic stats would be fully earned. As it should be.

I beg the developers' forgiveness for saying that some training could improve agents' stats, although I think only hardened combat veterans should be able to get high stats. The problem with "training" in XCOM 3 was that one could get super-soldiers with nearly maxed stats who had never been on a mission, indeed faster than those agents doing the missions, because they spent time in hospital.

Rewarding only veterans with the highest stats would be in the spirit of the game, in which careful tactics and strategy conserve one's finest agents, and one is rewarded with agents who improve over time and can really slam the aliens. I find that I can keep my agents alive, but in order to do so, I honestly must carefully plan every single move of every single agent, every single turn. It's painstaking work, but highly satisfying to bring home the entire team, every time. Indeed, it's the perfectionist's game.

Pwnzerfaust

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 12:02:21 am »
I think there should be some "basic" training, able to get the skills up to perhaps 20 or so, but beyond that only from combat. That would be pretty neat.

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 01:39:30 am »
I think there should be some "basic" training, able to get the skills up to perhaps 20 or so, but beyond that only from combat. That would be pretty neat.

Like I've mentioned beffore, the "Training Simulator" Facility was not included in 2.2 or 2.2.1
http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Base_Facilities/Training_Simulator

Since the Team Room is being removed in 2.3, I'm hoping to see the Training Simulator instead.

Pwnzerfaust

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 02:36:55 am »
Like I've mentioned beffore, the "Training Simulator" Facility was not included in 2.2 or 2.2.1
http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Base_Facilities/Training_Simulator

Since the Team Room is being removed in 2.3, I'm hoping to see the Training Simulator instead.

Oh cool, I didn't know about that.

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 01:17:53 am »
I think when we will have "combat implants" one day, this whole discussion will tone down a bit.

Even though my own "vision" is probably different, those implants remind me of cyberpunk and shadowrun
roleplaying-games where one could improve his character with those expensive add-ons

Offline Coconut Jonlan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 06:14:19 am »

There is - they are called downed UFO missions

All downed UFOs contain just 4 Ortnoks (in standard difficulty) - and for the smaller UFOs there's normally at least 3 out in the open at the start of your first round - basically a turkey shoot.

For the larger UFOs just hide your men in buildings for a turn or maybe two and the ortnoks will come looking for you - then you just step out of cover and pick them off - easy pickings and easy stats improval