project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2.2 Mac dmg install  (Read 23161 times)

Offline tchristney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2 Mac dmg install
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 04:14:33 am »
Did you install all three SDL frameworks (frameworks are self-packaged bits of code)? In /Library/Frameworks you should have at least directories named SDL.framework, SDL_mixer.framework and SDL_ttf.framework. Also, if you are having problems PLEASE post the output from Console.app!

For everyone having strange problems - I am confident that I have found where the problems relating to libraries are cropping up. I am working on it - there is a script during the build stages that is written in perl. I am not a perl expert so it's taking longer than I hoped. Please be patient.

stormcrow

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 05:34:27 pm »
Legend, tchristney is trying to help you.  As our crystal ball is a little cloudy, the only way we can help you is if you help us by pasting the output from the console.  ;)

You shouldn't need to worry about the dev-lite folder and should have the 3 directories that tchristney has said above.

Finally can you just confirm what machine you're running this on?

legend_c4a@yahoo.com

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 05:58:30 pm »
ok guys i'll try to give you the best info I can, here we go.

Stormcrow, you gave me a link for the SDL.framework and I installed it in library/frameworks as you instructed,

Tchristney says I should have 3 directories in library/framework
1-SDL.framework,
2-SDL_mixer.framework
3-SDL_ttf.framework
I only have SDL.framework in library/framework,

so Stormcrow,Tchristney sorry for my lack of knowledge but I have no idea how to get the output from the console. is it something thats supposed to happen automatically? all that happens is that I click on the screen and it closes with the music still playing and nothing else.

and finally stormcrow, I have a 1.5 GHz PowerPC G4, with 1 GB DDR SDRAM, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700.

thanks for the help guys! I can't WAIT to play this game  ;D

stormcrow

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 06:14:15 pm »
Legend

Can you open /Applications/Utilities/Console click the log tab and then select Crashreporter and then ufo.crash.log?  This will tell us what went wrong with the game. 

For future reference, you'll notice a lot of other things log here, bear it in mind for any issues you might have with your system.

Also open Terminal (also in Utilities) and give us the output of the following commands

ls -la /Library/Frameworks/
ls -la <REPLACE WITH YOUR INSTALL PATH TO GAME>/UFOAI.app/Contents/Frameworks/

Ahh PPC, I know this should all be universal binary but has anyone else got this working on a PPC?

legend_c4a@yahoo.com

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 06:36:40 pm »
Just to remind you guys,

Tchristney says I should have 3 directories in library/framework
1-SDL.framework,
2-SDL_mixer.framework
3-SDL_ttf.framework
I only have SDL.framework in library/framework,

Offline tchristney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 06:39:17 pm »
OK, I've been working on making the package "just work" but I'm actually very new to this project. The previous Mac developer (who did some great work, bless him/her) did some strange things when installing the frameworks into the app bundle that were totally unnecessary and were sort of broken. Some of you are obviously a step ahead of my by having a second Mac to test on ;) That's one of the problems with being a developer - you get your environment set up in ways that users shouldn't have to and it can be tricky to get things to work the way they should on vanilla installs of Mac OS X.

About Console - it is a totally separate program installed in /Applications/Utilities/Console. It logs output from programs that write to the "standard" output and error "streams". It can be instructive and is worthwhile to take a peek even if you aren't having problems with an application. If you are having problems it is critical for developers because that is where Mac OS X logs things like missing library messages.

I'm currently uploading a new dmg that I believe has the frameworks and other libraries in the right place and everything is pointing to the right place. It should be up later today.

Hmm, PPC. I have a friend who was working off one of my previous builds so hopefully that isn't a problem.

legend_c4a@yahoo.com

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 06:43:55 pm »
thanks for the info tchristney, I guess i'll just sit here and wait for the new dmg to go up. is it a dmg that we have to add to what we already have or is it a complete game download?
can't wait!

stormcrow

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 06:45:11 pm »
Legend

Sorry look under ~/Library/Logs/Crashreporter, ufo should be there.

Also can you run the terminal commands I asked for above? This will help us understand what you have installed.

Offline tchristney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 06:46:37 pm »
Wow. OK, that crash log has nothing to do with ufo:ai, but thanks anyway!

SDL_mixer

SDL_ttf

The uploaded version is the full game, not a patch. Sorry, but the tools just aren't set up to split the programs and data into separate packages.

BTW, thanks for the help stormcrow, and thanks for everyone's patience.

legend_c4a@yahoo.com

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 06:49:57 pm »
NO! thank you guys for your hard work!  ;)  :D  :)  8)

stormcrow

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2008, 06:50:40 pm »
tchristney

It's been a long time since I did any coding (and not on a mac) but I hear you about trying to replicate a vanilla install!

There's a couple of things I'd suggest

1) Mac gets it's own forum section, making it easier for mac users to find help and each other (few that we are)  ;)

2) When you build a dmg in future we should set the right expectation by calling it something like a Release Candidate until it's proved as working. Then we can just rename the package once we know it works.

And finally thanks for building this dmg, it saves me compiling the code and I always prefer the path of least resistance!!  Also if you want someone to test the images I'm happy to help out where I can provided I can avoid losing previous saved games etc!

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2008, 07:39:25 pm »
1) Mac gets it's own forum section, making it easier for mac users to find help and each other (few that we are)  ;)

Done.

legend_c4a@yahoo.com

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2008, 07:55:53 pm »
Honestly, I have no idea what I just did with that info I gave you, hopefully that's what you need, but with my luck it probably isn't.   :'(

stormcrow

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2008, 08:03:22 pm »
Thanks BTAxis!!

Legend

Yes I'm guessing since you placed the SDL.framework in /Library/frameworks it then got confused when it couldn't find the other frameworks.  Anyway now you've added the other two that should be better.  Does it work now?

Also you might want to edit that post as it shows your name, your choice.

legend_c4a@yahoo.com

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2008, 08:23:11 pm »
Honestly, now that I added the other two SDL's its not working at all. I have the UFOAI icon on the bottom of the screen bouncing up and down but nothing else.

I just don't think its meant to be, I'm giving up hope.   :'(