project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: One-button mouse mode?  (Read 2355 times)

goldenmonkey

One-button mouse mode?
« on: January 12, 2008, 03:16:45 pm »
Congrats to everyone for getting 2.2 out.

I just installed the mac version (no 2.2 for me yet), and had a hard (i.e. impossible) time simulating a right-click or middle-click. Could we have a modifier key for mouse buttons? (e.g. ctl-click is a right click) It should be easy to implement.

runlevel0

Re: One-button mouse mode?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 06:11:12 pm »
Congrats to everyone for getting 2.2 out.

I just installed the mac version (no 2.2 for me yet), and had a hard (i.e. impossible) time simulating a right-click or middle-click. Could we have a modifier key for mouse buttons? (e.g. ctl-click is a right click) It should be easy to implement.

Are you talking about the common mighty-mouse?

AFAIK (I'm using one right now) this is a normal mouse, with two buttons, it just depends on whether side you click and the third button is the ball... check this in the System Prefs... anyway, I'm not so sure if you are talking about older mice on G5s or so, but I would say it's the same.

goldenmonkey

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 07:28:03 pm »
Most (good) Mac applications are designed to be used with a one-button mouse. In the Mac OS, for example, there is functionality for multi-button mice, but all features can be accessed with a combination of the keyboard and primary (left) button. This is why apple mice before the mighty-mouse have all been one button, and why the apple laptops continue to ship with only one button.

I'm playing UFOAI on my MacBook, which means I can't turn a soldier without taking a step- a serious disadvantage in this game. (I do have a mighty-mouse, but I'd rather not require it to play.)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 07:45:27 pm »
For turning you can still use the control key.

goldenmonkey

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 03:46:34 am »
For turning you can still use the control key.
Oh- thanks. That helps a lot. I'd assumed it was like X-COM, which I believe was button-only.