project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Problems changing idiom in game  (Read 4543 times)

Hwoarang

Problems changing idiom in game
« on: March 12, 2008, 06:33:58 pm »
Hi all!
I want to contribute to the project translating the game to pt-br (Brazilian Portuguese).
I coudn't figure out how to contact the others translators, so I want to ask any brazilian translator to contact me, please.

My problem:
To start I downloaded the file here:
http://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ufoai/ufoai/trunk/src/po/pt_BR.po and opened it with Poedit.
I noticed that some phrases are already translated there, so I save the .mo file and put it in my UFOAI-2.2\base\i18n\pt_BR\LC_MESSAGES directory.
But the game refuses to show those translated phrases (like the main buttons - Back, Options, Game...)

What I'm doing wrong? What I missed?
I read http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Translating but can't see nothing that I need to do more.

Please, someone can cast a light here?

PS: could be much easier if the Forum could have specific boards to translations queastions. And sub boards  to specific idioms.

Hwoarang
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 10:12:29 pm by Hwoarang »

Offline MortenRoenne

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Problems to use new translation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 09:08:07 pm »
You proably missed this little step (which only applies to Windows):

You have to rename the YourLanguagePrefix.mo file to ufoai.mo

Hwoarang

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 03:50:31 pm »
You proably missed this little step (which only applies to Windows):

In fact no, but after reading http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Manual/Language I got it, but still a problem here:

my idiom is Brazilian Portuguese and the dir under i18n is pt_BR
setting the idiom using 'set l_language = pt_BR' only works if i change the dir from 'pt_BR' to 'pt'

someone knows why?

thank you!

Offline MortenRoenne

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 01:55:28 pm »
Did some testing with the danish locale, and got some problems using da and da_DK in version 2.2 (on Linux).
Got some weird mixtures of the da_DK (not containing danish so I can see the difference) and the da messages.

Did some read up in the code and all the game do to change language is calling setlocale. And after that it is sort of out of game control.
So it might be the underlaying layer doing something strange.
Like a system wide mapping of pt_BR into pt.

Which OS are you playing the game on?

Hwoarang

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 05:20:54 pm »
Did some testing with the danish locale, and got some problems using da and da_DK in version 2.2 (on Linux).
Got some weird mixtures of the da_DK (not containing danish so I can see the difference) and the da messages.

At least I'm not alone here.

Which OS are you playing the game on?

My future plans is to do tests in windows xp/2k3/vista and ubuntu/mandriva. But until the whole pt_BR translation is not done (I'm working in this task too) I will test it only in windows 2k3 for time matters.

I dont think this problem (changing the idiom in game) is a matter of cfg. Maybe som dev could take a look in...

Thank you.
Hwoarang