project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Bug: Reaction fire costs the same regardless of fire mode  (Read 2476 times)

Offline jmanson

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Bug: Reaction fire costs the same regardless of fire mode
« on: September 23, 2007, 05:21:42 am »
Snapshots reserve the same number of time units as full automatic, but when normally firing, they consume more. This is a bug, as there is no reason to ever use anything but the most powerful type of reaction fire. There needs to be some sort of tradeoff.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bug: Reaction fire costs the same regardless of fire mode
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 01:05:57 pm »
There's so much wrong with reaction fire. I hope we can settle this issue by 2.3.

Hoehrer

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 09:40:36 pm »
Snapshots reserve the same number of time units as full automatic, but when normally firing, they consume more. This is a bug, as there is no reason to ever use anything but the most powerful type of reaction fire. There needs to be some sort of tradeoff.
I can not reproduce this (in current code at least, didn't try the 2.1 version yet - what version are you using?).

The current way how Reaction Fire should work is like this: 7TUs (or 14TUs for multiple RF) are used up from the round it has been activated (and any following round - because it's auto-activated) and the actual shooting costs the normal amount of TUs the selected firemode of the weapon requires (this effectively removes them from your next round).
So to summarize: Tradeoff = 7 or 14 TUs for activation additional to the used up TUs by the weapon.

But as BTAxis mentioned already this far from the best way to do it - main problem is that the code is most ungrateful so nobody really wants to dig in and actually do it (myself included ;)). But it has to be done - the sooner the better. There are some very thorough proposals in the wiki (EDIT: see e.g. Gameplay Proposals/ReactionFireBlueprint) and the forum about this already.

EDIT: I've actually tried to reduce the 2 proposals in that link to their core-statements (for coders) some time ago but never finished it. Will do that when I've got some extra spare-time again. :)
BTAxis: Especially the 2 method (the UFO:EU one) is what I'm aiming for, but if more people would like the first method (which I doubt) ... we'll see ;)

Werner
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 10:00:46 pm by Hoehrer »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 02:28:52 am »
As far as I'm concerned, The people to listen to when deciding on which method to use are the ones we consider important for the project (i.e. me).