project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: I'm back! (Hoverbot)  (Read 10625 times)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
I'm back! (Hoverbot)
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 11:40:08 pm »
So, Psawhn, are you still going to do some more work on the texture? I have to agree with mattn here, it does still need something more, the screenshots still look a touch jaggy (although that may be Blender's fault) and parts of the bot (mainly the turbines and the protrusions on the bottom left and right of the main body) are a bit indistinct.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
I'm back! (Hoverbot)
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 03:41:54 am »
I see what you mean, but I don't think I can do it.

The truth is, my uv-unwrapping skills aren't enough to put something like this into a 256x256 image, without wasting space and with minimal distortion.
So, there's a 512x512 image, with a lot of wasted space and some really bad distortion at spots - unfortunately the areas with the most distortion are around the lower pylons/spikes and front of the turbines.

Trust me, even though they look rather plain, sticking stuff on them looks much uglier.

If I redid the entire unwrapping/texturing process from scratch, I could probably make it better (at the least, I've learned what to watch out for for minimizing distortion.) However, that would be a lot of work and potentially push the release of this into an 'imaginary' zone, haha. :D

The jagginess you see is in my bad uvmap. I did blur some edges a little bit, and hopefully that will make things a bit better. I can't improve it much more without redoing the entire unwrapping/texturing process.

And I made some more videos, separated this time. I added some slight visual recoil to the gun firing, increased the bounciness in the death animations, and extended death1 so that it isn't over in the blink of an eye.

https://webdisk.ucalgary.ca/~djetowns/public_html/misc_files/UFO_AI/hoverbot/anims/

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
I'm back! (Hoverbot)
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 08:15:29 pm »
maybe i've missed that - but what license do you release your work under?

your textures are completly selfmade? or based on some others? If so, please provide these infos.

Offline Psawhn

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
I'm back! (Hoverbot)
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 08:20:06 pm »
Zenerka just PM'ed me about the licensing thing. I said it was okay to release it under GPLv2.

My textures are completely self-made with the GIMP. There are a few brush shapes I've picked up from somewhere that aren't mine, but otherwise everything's done from scratch.