project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Making UFOAI a Portable App  (Read 3193 times)

Kindred

Making UFOAI a Portable App
« on: July 28, 2007, 07:26:14 am »
UFOAI is a great game and could easily be placed on a usb thumb drive.  I have tested it already and it works great in winxp and winvista.  I am doing a little research on www.portableapps.com and see if I can learn how to make the game a true portable app that does not leave any information behind on a guest machine.  It would be cool to have a linux distro. on a usb thumb drive with UFOAI that saves all game info. so you can boot via usb and start playing with full cpu and graphics focused on the game play.  If anyone has created a portable app and would like to give me a hand in figuring this out let me know.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 12:15:27 pm »
I think UFO:AI is included on a self-contained Linux games DVD that you can boot and play from out of the box. I forgot where I saw it though, give me a hand here, people.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 01:13:26 pm »
it's the live dvd from linux-gamers.net

Kindred

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 08:30:15 pm »
I have downloaded the DVD but not all computers have DVD players but majority of computers have usb capabilities.  This does give me a starting point for the usb linux with UFOAI.  I am going to start just on making it a portable app that works on xp and vista first.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 09:00:16 pm »
let us know about problems please - also have a look at the cvar fs_usehomedir