project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Total frontal bulletproof  (Read 3144 times)

vvb

Total frontal bulletproof
« on: June 13, 2007, 06:14:29 pm »
There was old game which called "Incubation: Time is running out". In Incubacion was one kind of alien, which have total frontal "bulletproof". So to kill him one must go from behind and shoot him to the back. I think it's not a bad idea make one of the alien in ufoai which have similiar characteristics. He can be very slow, with hand-to-hand only weapon, but if you'll encounter him in narrow passage... ;-)

Wanderer

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 06:22:22 pm »
Hm, interesting idea.

Do the models currently track impact points for determination of damage levels?  IE: Arm is less damage then head?  If not, there's a lot of work that'd have to go in, I think, to make this reasonable.

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 06:41:55 pm »
They do not, but not so long ago mattn gave me url to nice and short tutorial about implementing the body parts coverage by shooting. Of course I lost that url somehow and cannot recall it from the memory, but iirc it was not really a lot of work to implement it, but I must admit I didn't look very carefuly.

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 09:08:43 pm »
sounds like a good idea to me. i think (this was a few years ago), that in UFO:EU the armour remembered were it was hit. so if your soldier's armour was damaged at the rear then you should face the direction of expected fire.

anyhow, i think vvb's suggestion would add tactical interest.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 09:26:21 pm »
Quote from: "blondandy"
sounds like a good idea to me. i think (this was a few years ago), that in UFO:EU the armour remembered were it was hit. so if your soldier's armour was damaged at the rear then you should face the direction of expected fire.

Eh, no. Most of the time, when you got hit, one of two things happened:
1) Nothing.
2) You died.
Only in VERY RARE cases did soldiers get wounded or their armor damaged, and if it did get damaged it was so little to make no difference. I hated this about the original X-COM games, however good they were overall.

That said, I completely agree with the above comments.