project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Laser weapon without ammo?  (Read 3987 times)

vvb

Laser weapon without ammo?
« on: June 13, 2007, 06:12:43 pm »
At X-COM laser weapon has NO ammo at all. I t was very useful and comfortable. X-COM laser rifles has not much damage as plasma, but I've prefer to create 8 laser rifles and forget about ammo at all. It's rather fair I think. Is there any kind of firing weapon in ufoai, that have NO ammo? I dont like all this 'microeconomic stuff' with ammos. If you think that laser weapon will be ultimate weapon becouse of this, it's damage can be decreased. In X-COM you can't hurt by laser weapon last main monster/brain/or_what_was_that.

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 06:18:00 pm »
I disagree. I think all weapons should have ammo. I find resource management to be an interesting part of the game.

Perhaps there could be an option to disable the need for ammo for campaign players who dont want to troubled by supply considerations.

Wanderer

Re: Laser weapon without ammo?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 06:37:13 pm »
Quote from: "vvb"
At X-COM laser weapon has NO ammo at all.

One of the things I liked about this was laser pistols.  You always had a sidearm for those boards that just seemed to drag out forever (base raids, anyone?) that at the least could ping the enemy to death over enough time.  These were especially useful with the rocket crew.  They were my wall clearers and NO team, even end game, went out without two freshly recruited rocket boys for removing irritating terrain... however, they eventually ran out of rockets.

I don't actually see us being able to generate a map of that size in this remake with the current engine, but who knows, maybe I'll end up happily surprised.

As to lasers in general, I've pretty much stopped bothering with them.  They don't carry enough shots and don't pack enough punch (even heavy) to be worth their weight.  I'd rather run around with SMGs or plasma pistols with 3 or 4 reloads.  If they went ammo-less it might balance off the significant weakening they got in a past release.

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 09:18:04 pm »
Quote from: "Wanderer"
One of the things I liked about this was laser pistols.  You always had a sidearm for those boards that just seemed to drag out forever (base raids, anyone?)

On long missions, if you really didn't bring enough ammo, you can always pick up the weapons of your fallen foes.

Sectoid

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 12:00:20 am »
I remember in X-Com the laser weapons were pretty ineffective. I'd always try to get plasma weapons researched as soon as I could.

Offline Stalins Organ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 02:49:50 am »
Ammo is kindof pointless IMO.

I rarely have to reload - never moer than one soldier runs out of ammo on a mission, so there really isnt' a lot of resource management going on IMO.

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 09:54:16 am »
I rarely have to reload

try a harder difficulty level. you have to shoot them many more times.