project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UFO:AI Vs That Other UFO Game  (Read 4438 times)

Offline Pariah

• Rookie
    • View Profile
UFO:AI Vs That Other UFO Game
« on: June 01, 2007, 05:33:08 pm »
Greetings all,

I am just curious to know if the development of UFO:AI took a hit when UFO: Extraterrestrials came out (download was available something like May 4th)?

Yes, I was one of those evil guys who bought the download and I have been following Choas Concepts forum as well as elsewhere regarding UFO: ET and I am assuming some of the parties here have been tooting the UFO: AI horn because UFO:AI has been getting the mentions, especially when someone points out the UFO:ET only has 2 levels in the battlescape and UFO:AI has 5.

I haven't played UFO:AI for almost a month, more so then anything, because I have reached the end of the research tree and got tired of playing the same maps. Now even though I am playing UFO:ET, I am still eagerly awaiting the next version of UFO:AI.

Wanderer

Re: UFO:AI Vs That Other UFO Game
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 05:52:05 pm »
Quote from: "Pariah"
Greetings all,

I am just curious to know if the development of UFO:AI took a hit when UFO: Extraterrestrials came out (download was available something like May 4th)?

No, but finals is certainly making its weight felt...

Yes, I was one of those evil guys who bought the download and I have been following Choas Concepts forum as well as elsewhere regarding UFO: ET and I am assuming some of the parties here have been tooting the UFO: AI horn because UFO:AI has been getting the mentions, especially when someone points out the UFO:ET only has 2 levels in the battlescape and UFO:AI has 5.

Ahem, we have 8. :)

I haven't played UFO:AI for almost a month, more so then anything, because I have reached the end of the research tree and got tired of playing the same maps. Now even though I am playing UFO:ET, I am still eagerly awaiting the next version of UFO:AI.

More then welcome to help if you're bored... :)

Offline Pariah

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 01:46:33 am »
Ahem, we have 8.  

Sorry, was at work and I just couldn't remember (ET as 2, XCOM had 5, I knew AI had at least 5, I almost put 6 down, but decided to play it safe, and wrong).

More then welcome to help if you're bored...

I have seriously thought about offering, however, coding wise, I know next to nothing. Computer wise I like to say, "I know enough to be dangerous; to the computer", an exaggeration, yes. I am not somone who is a self learner, hands on and by instruction is the only way I learn. The only skill that I could possibly be of use would be limited to beta-test, help with the fiction/UFOpedia and design/balance.

If I may be so bold, my first thought of the basic soldiers (without armor on) in the inventory screen was that they were uglier grahic wise then the original XCOM, but then I told myself to 'shut it', because I knew I couldn't do any better (the armor suits look much better). I once tried to create new units for CIV 2, mistake.

I have tried to help here. I have posted questions and made points that I thought would help (I posted with screen shots about how my "actors" can get out of synch graphically, but that thread didn't get much of a response.

Wanderer

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 01:56:05 am »
I have tried to help here. I have posted questions and made points that I thought would help (I posted with screen shots about how my "actors" can get out of synch graphically, but that thread didn't get much of a response.

Sorry, you kinda took me the wrong way there... it wasn't 'shaddup or help', it was more 'A hand would be welcome'.

As to not getting much of a response, I can't really offer much for that.  Mattn is lead coder, and there are others, but  most of us can't repeat your error to figure out what happened.  I'm certainly not the world's best coder, but that's part of why I've tried to get involved in the Mapping arena.  Trust me, I was about useless in using that software until Mattn practically took me by the hand and walked me through it (see the doubling in size of the mapping forum...  :roll: ).  So, it's possible to kinda shove your way into a place you can help from...   8)

Anyway, I'm sorry that noone resolved your misplaced people issue... not sure if anyone can make it happen.  It's the standard problem... if it won't break with the tech there, how can he figure out if he fixed it?

As to the rest of your offers... I'll leave that to the actual leaders of the team designing this product.

ender101

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 10:44:05 pm »
I just played the latest update to UFO AI, last time was RC6....

I really love the art direction,map design, andpassion put into UFO AI, it really comes across in its atmosphere. Right now UFO AI suffers from 2 major drawbacks IMO...you can't destroy buildings on the map and the interface and control is still aweful, very non intuitive.It is on the other hand the most faithful and polished update to X-Com (minus a few other minor items that UFO E did well on).

With the player mad mods UFO E is the most fairhful feature updated comercial release, but utterly lacks any kind of polish and detail. It could have been a challanger of they had UFO AI talent in art direction, map design, and attention to detail.

I will throw my hat into helping as much as you can use me, if the shortfalls are in your project plan for future improvements.