project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: suggestions for new maps  (Read 28146 times)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
suggestions for new maps
« on: June 06, 2006, 04:43:54 pm »
this is a topic where you can post suggestions for new maps. we will collect them here:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Mapping:Suggestions

you are also invited to fill the above wiki entry by yourself with your ideas.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 04:36:40 pm by Mattn »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
suggestions for new maps
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 05:41:06 pm »
Government offices. Those will come in handy regarding the storyline. It's likely that we'll have governments siding with the aliens, and so it's very probable that we'd want to have missions in their offices, for example to kill a converted politician. Also for U.N. headquarters defense missions, to come up with a random example.

Alien mothership, again for storyline purposes. Possibly, we can use the alien base maps for the mothership.

American desert highway, with cactuses and bull skulls and everything.

The Eiffel Tower.

Hydroponic dam.

Seaside tourist trap.

Alex

suggestions for new maps
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 10:21:14 pm »
Secret antarctic research laboratories getting invaded by aliens.

Alien bases.

The street, subway and sewer of a city.

On board ocean vessels / oil rigs, etc...

Offline tempsanity

• Rookie
    • View Profile
suggestions for new maps
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 11:14:20 pm »
City ruins.
A forrest.

A suggestion btw: maybe Alex could help you with it - some more ambience sounds, besides music - like wolves howling on some forrest/plain/farm maps in the night - some car sounds during the day in the city etc. etc. It really adds to the atmosphere.

Surrealistik

Re: suggestions for new maps
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 03:58:38 am »
Balanced multiplayer maps, please, preferably symmetrical.

A more specific idea would be two fortresses on either side of a smaller bunker fortification in the middle. The fortresses would be complete with pillboxes and sniper decks/towers, while the no-man's land inbetween would be littered with debris, sandbags and other obstacles and forms of cover. Sniping should be viable, but not the end all, be all tactic.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 12:54:57 pm »
As I've stated, I intend to try my hand at a multiplayer map. It will not be what Surrealistik describes, that's too FPSey for my taste (but if anyone else wants to do it, by all means), but it will feature a fortified position in a central position, with battlements that can be destroyed in stages by explosive weapons only (support for this has yet to be implemented, but mattn told me that should not be too hard). As for the rest, I'll make it up as I go along.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 11:33:57 pm »
Snow, ice, and a few rocks.

For Antarctica, and Siberia etc.

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 10:01:40 am »
My pack of suggestions/inspirations:

Airport (if plane models are not too tricky)
Hijacked/crashed train (some subway graphics can be reused)
Factory (didn't see industrial06 or powerplant01, so can't say if they are similar)
Prison
Oil derrick
Underground parking
Cemetery
Hospital
Cinema
Theme park/Zoo
ComSat station or radiotelescope (or SETI, hehe)

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 06:04:58 pm »
Some wilderness maps would be nice for crash-sites.

Desert, swamp, forest, mountain, tropical forest, etc.-- one for each of the terrains in "map_earth_terrain.tga"

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 08:18:32 pm »
Btw, can a mission on some Earth space station (ISS or similar) be implemented? Perhaps as a plot mission on later stage, when a space-capable dropship is researched. It can be either activated by a button (like plot missions in UFO series), or be represented by a moving or immobile (geostationary orbit) point on geoscape.

SpaceWombat

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 09:21:46 pm »
As aliens are raiding crowds of civilians how about a theme park? Rollercoasters, souvenier shops etc. Only problem is lots of new graphics and sprites I guess but I would be a fan.  8)

Offline TumbleWeed

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 09:44:54 pm »
Pretty much any map theme will do, as long as the map
- has at least few good spots to place snipers (also the kind that can be reached in a reasonable amount of time, might want to consider making larger maps with more aliens, since battles tend to be really short)
- few extra tiles of free space around the aircraft, so that it doesn't block movement
- adequate amount of scattered cover spots (big rocks, barrels, trees, boxes, cars... )

What really bugs me with current maps (system) is that soldiers fire from their waist height, making line of sight and line of fire two different things. Could the line of fire be made to use the same line as the line of sight? It's really annoying when you can see an alien on a rooftop but the line of fire is blocked by the edge of the roof due to soldiers firing from their hip.

SpaceWombat

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 10:12:41 am »
Pretty much any map theme will do, as long as the map
- has at least few good spots to place snipers (also the kind that can be reached in a reasonable amount of time, might want to consider making larger maps with more aliens, since battles tend to be really short)
- few extra tiles of free space around the aircraft, so that it doesn't block movement
- adequate amount of scattered cover spots (big rocks, barrels, trees, boxes, cars... )

What really bugs me with current maps (system) is that soldiers fire from their waist height, making line of sight and line of fire two different things. Could the line of fire be made to use the same line as the line of sight? It's really annoying when you can see an alien on a rooftop but the line of fire is blocked by the edge of the roof due to soldiers firing from their hip.

Total agreement on this. I also feel that sometimes aliens can shoot me while I cannot shoot back. That should be impossible!?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 12:09:38 pm »
it would be nice if you could also create some basic blueprints for the maps you have in mind

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 12:10:50 pm »
Actually, create those blueprints with gtkradiant. Add some textures too. Oh, and some spawn points while you're at it.