project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Base Security?  (Read 1993 times)

Gedaliah

Base Security?
« on: May 08, 2007, 12:25:11 am »
I know I'm still reaching for the stars this early in development, but don't fault me too much, I am brushing up on my C/C++ skills at this point.

So I was under attack, had a few soldiers in the control room, and a thought occurred to me. If I'm playing a super secret para-military group then where is my security!?, for that matter who is going to attack such a well armed group, on their own turf, with only 8-12 not so elite units?

I'm not asking for gun towers, or automated guns(though that would be nice) , but the ability to seal the entrances, or isolate rooms would be a God sent. Even if they could blow the doors away it would still  be a God sent to slow them down ,and maybe track their progress. Who build a top secret base with and doesn't have a lock/guard post on the front door!?

I do apparently. For that matter, a little game braking logic, why bother landing troops? If the base is on the surface and you have a heavy craft hover above just bomb the place to hell, or after all your troops are dead and you failed blow the place away if you wanted to capture it for some reason?

Wanderer

Re: Base Security?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 01:13:03 am »
Quote from: "Gedaliah"
For that matter, a little game braking logic, why bother landing troops? If the base is on the surface and you have a heavy craft hover above just bomb the place to hell, or after all your troops are dead and you failed blow the place away if you wanted to capture it for some reason?

Because that'd be tooo easy! *whine*

Last question first:  The enemy in the original UFO could only come in the Hangars and the Elevator shaft, because the base is buried.

Second question: Why no motion trackers or blast doors?  OSHA regulations state that all emergency exits must be kept free and clear after the incident in "The Andromeda Strain".  Also, due to new privacy laws, the boss and the intern didn't want everyone in the base to know they were humping under the Interceptor, so they turned off the motion sensors and internal cameras.

Third question: Why do I have 19 men in my base and only 8 defending?  Well, this comes from hiring very cheap troops who's only interest was trying to fix the cameras to watch the boss bang the intern.  When the aliens came, they ran like babies... into the elevator... and died before they left. :)

Today's sarcasm brought to you by the Letter A and the number 3... and Elmo's corpse being animated by a Chrysallid.

(I'd love to see this enabled, btw.  Rather good points all the way through, except for the base being about 300 feet below ground.)

Surrealistik

Base Security?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 01:43:05 am »
Security stations/sentry guns are being added (I think). Security doors aren't slated for inclusion, yet I think they're an excellent idea and should be implimented easily enough (basically a breakable map entity that moves only for friendlies).