project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Advancing the plot  (Read 3762 times)

Offline fusiontrigger7

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Advancing the plot
« on: May 06, 2008, 11:14:13 pm »
What makes the plot advance? I remember in the original XCOM if you didn't dissect the aliens you could postpone having to fight harder aliens.

I've extended my forces too far apart and now I'm relying on the starter human weapons versus aliens that they have little or no effect on.

Any tips on not getting myself overwhelmed by powerful aliens while still in what I believe to be the early stages of the game?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Advancing the plot
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 11:27:12 pm »
I don't know if you're referring to 2.2.1 or 2.3, but in either case the campaign is unfinished, both in terms of the storyline and in terms of functionality and balancing. However, I can tell you that once the campaign works as I intend it, you will not be able to avoid the rising difficulty in any way. The appearance of tougher aliens, UFOs and missions will be independent of the player's actions.

Negator_UK

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 03:00:09 pm »
The appearance of tougher aliens, UFOs and missions will be independent of the player's actions.

As a hard-core Xcom-er I partially welcome this - Apocalypse especially punished me for starting well.

However you need to make sure that the game does not get progressively harder (at least on the lower dificulties) as spending 40+ hours on a game thats just right, then having to give it up as it gets harder is going to upset folk..

Also shouldn't player actions have the effect of inhibiting aliens (ie, shooting down a scout should delay the arrival of the following harvester) ??. 

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 06:31:19 pm »
Shooting down UFOs does indeed have an effect on the next wave of UFOs. For more information read the wiki article about the campaign.

Also, shooting down supply ships will result in disrupting alien supply lines, which slows or even completely brings to a halt their operations in that area. This is not yet implemented.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 06:44:55 pm by BTAxis »

Offline ponkan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 11:22:07 am »
There are two basic points made in the article, which are that difficulty steadily ramps up, and there are changes in AI behavior according to what you do to their plans. So shooting down that scout will discourage them from harvesting and base building, but it will get them looking for yours. The ramping difficulty is there so that things don't get progressively easier as you acquire better ships, weapons, armor, and soldiers. Also means you'll have to move your ass, but it ramps up more slowly in the easier settings, so there'll be an option for everyone. Personally, I like knowing that I've got to kill the aliens before they kill me.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 12:08:25 pm »
Who says you have to kill them before they kill you? Remember that the interest values also change if you DON'T act. You can somewhat steer the probabilities of their nex actions - not exploit them.