project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Atmosphere!  (Read 2251 times)

PhaD

Atmosphere!
« on: April 12, 2007, 02:18:56 am »
Atmosphere

Unknown enemy and TFTD used dramatic atmosphere for their gameplay!
I think that was a realy important point of their sucsess!
What brings it to you if you have many gameplay elements, but no functioning world, where these elements working at ? So i would like to submit some points:

Sound:
In UE and TFTD are many scary sounds if the aliens or civils are on turn you can hear closing doors, steps on the catwalk, crying and dying, and dont forget the scary alien sounds!  All of those elements are missing in UFO:AI. It's very importan that you have more level sounds and first of all more sounds for the Charakters, like moving and dying!  
- If you only have license problems, maybe i can help you! i've got over 20gb sound samples, because iam a moviemaker.

Grafik
The in game gui(buttens and the menu) is maybe to simple, the first i thought about it, was: uhh low detail and very low animation!  same by the results of the studys, no gfx in it! That is a very big mistake! It's like the same in Orion2, if you study out your techtree you want to see  your great results and the new stuff you can do by now!
Winter did a great job, so many text... but his text is waiting alone to scroll for an mile!

I dont have to say, that you guys did a very good job - there is a lot to do now!  i would talk with mattn in icq, maybe i can do something! (like with my pure skill in 3v3s ;))

Offline tempsanity

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Atmosphere!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 10:08:55 am »
Yes, PhaD:

http://ufoai.ninex.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5289&highlight=#5289

check this thread.

Btw. I also suggested screams, voice communication between soldiers ('enemy spotted', 'soldier hit') etc. in another topic. And I agree about the GUI - it works well but looks really bad. But that's gonna be changed in the future I guess. I don't even know if somebody would code it if I created a new GUI/asked a friend gfx artist to do that.

As for the sounds - great, hopefully the team will add some of your samples (if they're yours)!