project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: regarding gatling/minigun  (Read 62011 times)

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: regarding gatling/minigun
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2008, 02:31:52 pm »
Not really Trash, things just seemed to be "heating up", and I was a bit concerned thats all ;)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2008, 03:10:07 pm »
Add to it weight of the gun itself, the need for additional ammo, inability of taking a sidearm...

Uum...38 KG for everything combines...ATM..that's not much - special forces go into battle with 80kg of equipment.
not to mention that you can probably shave a few kg of weight with some improvements

No he wasnt. The weapon could jam after few shots. And than you need to hide for 5 minuts to unjam the gun- sound too long if you ask me, but if the engine jams there could be bigger problem

The 5 minute number was for regular chain. That's why linkless chain was introduced. God knows what new things they'll come up with 80 years from now.

spekaing of which - if a gun jamms, that's why your sidearm is for. That's why your teammate cover is for.

Quote from: Winter
Well, no. Like I said, they just contain more vague theory and irrelevance.

WTF? Vauge theories? Did you even read the stuff?
The VHS air coushin system for recoil reducing? Gas powered rotation for faster spin up and RoF? Lightweight polymers? And that's only stuff from the top of my head - there are probably more techs/methods I forgot or don't know about now. Not ot mention 80 years form now.
All of that is vague to you? ::)

Which is still far too much for an effective urban conflict weapon. Hell, the SPW version of the Minimi, which is the sort of thing PHALANX would use, is only 5.75kg fully loaded with 200 rounds. And if you think any military force would give a troop ruinously expensive powered armour solely so that they can fire an oversized and clumsy machine gun that's useless in exactly the areas where PHALANX will be operating the most, cancelling out all the inherent speed and mobility advantages of a powersuit, you are wrong.

And you're the one to define what makes a effective weapon? You're the one to define when and how the weapon is supposed ot be used? Pffft.
What makes you think it's a clumsy weapon? What makes you think such a weapon would cancel the mobility of a power armor? Since when are you immobile with 30kg (or less) of weight?
And since when do PHALANX troops fall under a "normal military force"? They have access to power armor, unlike regular soldiers. Why not make use of everything that armor offers (namely more firepower)?

Exaggeration. A 4.73mm caseless round, like the one I used in my example, is around 40% the size of a 5.56mm round. 40% of an ammo backpack so large and unworkable that they never even tried it on still leaves you with something larger than the original 1000-round pack which was also considered so large and weighty that it was unfit for purpose. The 4.73mm pack would actually end up heavier because of the greater number of rounds in it.

More like 50%. But you could use other calibers too (4.6 for example).
A 2000 round backpack would be roughly the same volume and weight as the microgun backpack (around 10 Kg).
Note that the microgun backpack was never "too large and weighty". I don't get where you get this stuff...please, give me some source for this redicolous claim.
Weight of the weapon or the backpack were never the reason the microgun wasn't used. The inability to fire at full RoF without setup was.

Again you say this without any facts or figures to back you up. And you forget that heavy recoil thrown at any human being at the speed a minigun does means accuracy gets thrown out the window. This is a massive no-no for modern militaries where accuracy has become everything.

Where are your figures? I gave you link to articles and pointed you where to look. The microgun can be fired WHILE STANDING UP at roughly half the RoF (50 bullets per second). More than that and the kickback becomes too much.
And you really think that in 80+ years, with recoil reducing techniques and power armor stabiltiy you couldn't get around that.

I bet that in time of the first choppers, when they were falling down because of the lack of rear rotor, you'd be the first one to tell anyone that they will have no future and are stupid to consider as military weapons... ::)

[qutoe]
Most of it is either entirely theoretical or has no bearing on your argument. That little article you posted about the recoil-decreasing mechanism, for example, has little relevance because it would have far more of an effect on single-barrel rifles and machine guns, thereby making the machine gun even more preferable over any kind of minigun.[/uote]

And what's wrong with theoretical stuff? (note that most if it isn't theoretical)
And what makes you think the same system can't be used for multi-barrels? Speaking of which, accuracy is for assault rifles and snipers.

You cannot, CAN NOT, hold a position against a superior hostile force with nothing but sidearms while you're switching backpacks and relinking your bloody minigun. Never mind the fact that extra backpacks are again 10kg of load on top of (possibly even in place of) their other equipment.

You're saying you can hold a position against a superior hostile force with another weapon? Like an assault rifle?
a) 10kg isn't that much for an elite soldier. They aren't made of jello
b) What part of team/squad are you forgetting. Whoever carriers a minigun/rocket launcher/sniper rifle is never alone. You got other squadmates to cover you while you realod. Assuming you need a reload. I barely ever reload ANY weapon in UFO:AI.

Name one situation, even one, where you could possibly need that much lead in the air. There's nothing a minigun can do that can't be handled by a machine gun or other weapon that a squad is already likely to be equipped with.

I did mentionedt them. holding a passage/hallways, defending a fortified position, providing continuus fire support. Aliens are highly resistent to normal bullets b.t.w., so the more bullets in the air, the better.
I had aliens survive a full auto from a MG. From a minigun? Never.

Really, just think of a squad of infantry being told to seek and destroy a specific target in a densely-populated system of narrow Iraqi alleys, without harming any civilians or causing lots of damage. What would you have them do with a minigunner? Make him stand and wait outside while the rest of the team carry out the mission? He can't really go in there without banging his oversized weapon into everything, and he certainly won't be able to fire it. And this is the situation that PHALANX is in all the time, constant close-in work sweeping buildings and UFOs. There is essentially no open-ground combat where a minigun, even if it could be made workable, would be remotely useful.

Why do you bring a weapon to a mission if it doesn't suit a mission profile? If you do, you're either stupid of complacent. You don't use the minigun to hunt aliens within a building anymore than you would use a rocket launcher.

Speaking of which, I find a minigun highly useful in my current game. There is enough open ground for that.

Why not? That's what you've been telling everyone here. Positive thinking is not an alternative for practical solutions, and there are no practical solutions that will fix all the things that make the minigun such a terrible infantry weapon.

Denying facts and possibilities is even worse, mind you. For you it's negative thinking all the way.
And as I said before, a minigun is a SUPPORT weapon. You constantly keep comparing it with an assault rifle. Talk about a logical black hole.

You seem to have plenty of stuff that don't exist to day in the humans arsenal b.t.w.

Wow, all that education, and you still have no idea about the military uses of miniguns and why they're not applicable to infantry?

Apparenlty, neither do you :D

Well, everything I knows tells me you're wrong, and I've told you why. Your technical solutions are dodgy and you completely ignore the tactical implications of using a minigun in tightly-packed densely-populated urban areas, especially for an organisation whose main purpose is to save and defend civilians.

ERm...you're using high-yield plasma granades with twice the AoE range and deadliness of normal granades..you use rocket launchers and incindiery ammo. Do you see something wrong with your statement?
*also there were instances of gattling guns used in urban areas..mostly in Somalia.

Simply put, we're not putting an implausible weapon into a plausible game. It would run counter to all the difficult design choices and hard work we've put in so far and it would cheapen the game as a whole.

UFO: AI isn't plausable, not in the least. Now if you said it "feels" somewhat realistic, there I could agree with you.
Cheapen? I would say improve.
After all, you're not making the RL simulator 3000 - too many aliens (b.t.w. I use this opportunity to say I'm dissapointed with aliens autopsy description. Every single one of them seem to be a bio-engineerd warrior with redicoouls resistance. Even the think "greys". What happend to soft and squishy like humans? Why are humans the most vulneralbe of all species in the universe?)

I guess the only thing we can agree on is that we disagree ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 04:08:38 pm by TrashMan »

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2008, 04:21:03 pm »
Why are humans the most vulneralbe of all species in the universe?)
Because most of us would not agree to have their innards replaced with semi medical eqipment. The aliens have breathing implants, internal plating and anything that would improve their fighting potential. Read Ortonok autopsy- their balls were removed- would you agree for such a thing if you were told it will make you a better soldier?
Aliens think in different way (wont spoil the fun of finding it out if someone didnt research it yet;p) and its no problem for them to do anything with their body. Humanity is the biggest problem here, and without a serious reason most people would never agree to have for example their limbs removed and replaced.

Tell me more about this 80 kg of equipment- what forces, where, what mission and what do they carry.

Gas from firing will never give enough energy to rotate a MG

Since when are you immobile with 30kg (or less) of weight?
not immobile, but less mobile. Try to run with such a weight- i tried

Where are your figures? I gave you link to articles and pointed you where to look. The microgun can be fired WHILE STANDING UP at roughly half the RoF
Standing up is the best way to get a bullet right between your eyes(or a particle beam)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2008, 04:42:34 pm »
Because most of us would not agree to have their innards replaced with semi medical eqipment. The aliens have breathing implants, internal plating and anything that would improve their fighting potential. Read Ortonok autopsy- their balls were removed- would you agree for such a thing if you were told it will make you a better soldier?
Aliens think in different way (wont spoil the fun of finding it out if someone didnt research it yet;p) and its no problem for them to do anything with their body. Humanity is the biggest problem here, and without a serious reason most people would never agree to have for example their limbs removed and replaced.

We're talking about several different alien races here. What are the odds that all of them think the same and are perfecly fine with extensive internal surgery?

Tell me more about this 80 kg of equipment- what forces, where, what mission and what do they carry.
Special forces - specificly in missions behind enemy lines, in deserts or mountain terrains.

Gas from firing will never give enough energy to rotate a MG

A strange claim given that the fastest gattling cannons out there are gas-operated...

not immobile, but less mobile. Try to run with such a weight- i tried

You can't have everything, now can you? The question is - how much is enough. If you got power armor, how much does a minigun slow you down? Kinda hard to answer without knowing the specifics of the power armor.

Standing up is the best way to get a bullet right between your eyes(or a particle beam)
So? Don't stand up. The point is that it can be fired standing up, meaning the recoil is managable to a point even now.. let alone 80 years in the future.

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2008, 05:28:28 pm »
We're talking about several different alien races here. What are the odds that all of them think the same and are perfecly fine with extensive internal surgery?
Hmm- do the, odd behaviour and alien mind research- you will learn interesting things about them (hint- capture at least 10 aliens in one base)

Special forces - specificly in missions behind enemy lines, in deserts or mountain terrains.
You did not say what do they take and what missions. These are operations probably- taking some days, where they need firepower, tents, and Hell knows what else. Xcom comes to the mission area- kills/captures aliens and depart where they came from. No extended time period missions.

A strange claim given that the fastest gattling cannons out there are gas-operated...
Give me the names please. Most of MG have electric rotating engine-and i ever heard of any MG that would use gas gained from gunpowder explosion in the gun lock. But if you know of any give me the details as i am not an alpha and omega

You can't have everything, now can you? The question is - how much is enough. If you got power armor, how much does a minigun slow you down? Kinda hard to answer without knowing the specifics of the power armor.
Enough is when my soldier can keep up with the rest, get on a second floor, put his gun through the window and can carry all his ammo by himself, when he can run for a cover and hide quickly.

So? Don't stand up. The point is that it can be fired standing up, meaning the recoil is managable to a point even now.. let alone 80 years in the future.
As i said earlier it might be difficult to place a minigun on the widow, or a car behind which you are hiding- rotating barrels would clash against the surface so the mg would need some frame or stand.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2008, 06:45:48 pm »
You did not say what do they take and what missions. These are operations probably- taking some days, where they need firepower, tents, and Hell knows what else. Xcom comes to the mission area- kills/captures aliens and depart where they came from. No extended time period missions.

Even more of a reason why they can carry more equipment - short missions with air transport in and out.

Give me the names please. Most of MG have electric rotating engine-and i ever heard of any MG that would use gas gained from gunpowder explosion in the gun lock. But if you know of any give me the details as i am not an alpha and omega
Here's one :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gryazev-Shipunov_GSh-6-23

Enough is when my soldier can keep up with the rest, get on a second floor, put his gun through the window and can carry all his ammo by himself, when he can run for a cover and hide quickly.

And what makes you think a guy with a minigun couldn't so that?
Note that a sensible commander would never order a guy with a mining into a apartment building on the second floor in the first place trough..

As i said earlier it might be difficult to place a minigun on the widow, or a car behind which you are hiding- rotating barrels would clash against the surface so the mg would need some frame or stand.

You mean something like a bipod? I fail to see the problem in that...

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2008, 06:51:05 pm »

Jesus, I didn't even think of that. That's unforgivable in any kind of battlefield -- note that the only function for which the microgun was developed was to clear helicopter landing zones. Add 'cannot be fired prone or from cover' to the minigun's list of ways it endangers its wielder's life.

Some more hard data on microgun recoil: "Each cartridge accelerates a 4 grams (62 gr) bullet to about 850 m/s (2,800 ft/s); at a moderate rate of fire of 4,000 rounds per minute, a one second burst will accelerate 267 grams (4,120 gr) of mass. Assuming a 100 kilograms (220 lb/16 st) user, and 30 kilograms (66 lb) for the XM214 and ammunition, that one second burst will result in the gun and user being accelerated to 1.7 m/s (5.6 ft/s)."

One gas blowback-operated minigun does apparently exist in a 30mm calibre, an old thing developed by the Russians, but it was swiftly replaced with an ordinary double-barrel machine gun due to ammo limitations. The gas from a 5.56mm round or a 4.73mm round, however, would never be able to spin multiple barrels at a rate of fire higher than a standard machine gun.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2008, 06:58:32 pm »
Even more of a reason why they can carry more equipment - short missions with air transport in and out.

Stupid comment. No military unit, however big or small, can choose its own engagement times. All it can do is guess and hope.

Here's one :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gryazev-Shipunov_GSh-6-23

See my previous post.

And what makes you think a guy with a minigun couldn't so that?
Note that a sensible commander would never order a guy with a mining into a apartment building on the second floor in the first place trough..

So you're saying that a sensible commander would never order a guy with a minigun to do the sort of thing that PHALANX was intended to do from the get-go and which it would have to do constantly? Do you know, I think that's exactly what I've been saying.

You mean something like a bipod? I fail to see the problem in that...

. . . Did you think about that before you said it? You can't put a bipod or tripod on a gun whose barrels spin at 4000+ RPM, for several reasons.

1. The barrels spin! There's no place to mount anything!

2. Even if there was, the massive torque from firing would tip it over.

Regards,
Winter

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2008, 07:11:31 pm »
Jesus, I didn't even think of that. That's unforgivable in any kind of battlefield -- note that the only function for which the microgun was developed was to clear helicopter landing zones. Add 'cannot be fired prone or from cover' to the minigun's list of ways it endangers its wielder's life.

Who sez it can't be fired prone? ???

Stupid comment. No military unit, however big or small, can choose its own engagement times. All it can do is guess and hope.

Wouldn't it make sense then to carry more equipment, just in case you might need it?

One gas blowback-operated minigun does apparently exist in a 30mm calibre, an old thing developed by the Russians, but it was swiftly replaced with an ordinary double-barrel machine gun due to ammo limitations. The gas from a 5.56mm round or a 4.73mm round, however, would never be able to spin multiple barrels at a rate of fire higher than a standard machine gun.

The point is that the technology exists and can be perfected. You underestimate human ingenuity.

So you're saying that a sensible commander would never order a guy with a minigun to do the sort of thing that PHALANX was intended to do from the get-go and which it would have to do constantly? Do you know, I think that's exactly what I've been saying.

You're saying the ONLY missions Phalanax ever does is excursions into densely populated areas?
Hmmm..you know I was sure there were many mission in rurlal and outdoor areas, even in bases and bunkers with big, broad hallways... but I surely must be wrong! ::)

. . . Did you think about that before you said it? You can't put a bipod or tripod on a gun whose barrels spin at 4000+ RPM, for several reasons.

1. The barrels spin! There's no place to mount anything!

I hope you don't work for some R&D. Total lack of creativity. Observe:

Do you see where a bipod/tripod/something could be attached?
Zounds! It be dark magicks! :D

EDIT:

Speaking of minigun size..This looks incredibly big and unwieldy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gau_17_7.62mm_minigun.jpg
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 07:20:52 pm by TrashMan »

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2008, 08:09:36 pm »
Dang...thats smaller than I would have thought...still a bit big to be hauling around on the battlefield though? Perhaps not with mechanized power armor...

Still be better to mount a system like this on some type of vehicle / UGV though...you think?

Here is more detailed info on that same weapon, with a link to a supposedly improved version at the bottom of the page:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_30-cal_GAU17.htm

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 08:18:31 pm by Falion »

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2008, 08:47:57 pm »
THANKS FOR THIS PICTURE! Looks really great!
Speaking of minigun size..This looks incredibly big and unwieldy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gau_17_7.62mm_minigun.jpg

Take a look where and HOW it is mounted. Yep- you would have to carry a special heavy arm and 3/4 of the gun would be outside of the window or a hole acting like a big flag "hey here i am!" Notice the fire comming from barrels
It must look great at night. Especialy from a particle canon aiming system. Light support machine guns have special construction on barrel just to hide the fire which gives away your position. Do you really think that if it would make any sense military installations wouldnt have MG installed by default?

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2008, 09:03:30 pm »
You're saying plasma/particle and other normal humans weapons (assault rifles, machine guns, etc..) DON'T have a visible flash while shooting? Or a bullet trace visible at night?

Erm..one more thing..if you actually were planning on using a minigun, what makes you think you would be the one doing the hiding?  :D

Speaking of which the gun itself is 16kg + ~10kg for ammo = 26kg. And we're down well below 30kg with still 80 years to go to UFO:AI timeline.

80 years..think about it. If you consider when the microgun was made that would mean almost 100 years from the microgun to UFO:AI time.
100 years. Can you even imagine the technical strides made in 100 years?
Just think what we had at the beginning of this century and what we have now. And then tell me in my face you really think it's impossible to fix some small technical problems in that time span.

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2008, 10:07:34 pm »
another reason to stay mobile. Plasma would give short burst of light. I have seen some bulets and most of them are quite invisible while in the air- i think the glowing ones are special kind that makes easier target aiming by alowing to track the bullet way.
Read about lasers in game- there is mentioned, that its beam is invisible and thusly we need to create special doctrine of combat with laser weapons- the bright beam is just a pleasant effect just as it is with most weapons ingame.
To the contrary an operating MG spits constant fire showing its position for as long as its working.
Erm..one more thing..if you actually were planning on using a minigun, what makes you think you would be the one doing the hiding?
There is no specific reason for that. Maybe except for some particle canons hidden in buildings and on the rooftops eager to blast heads off
Its always better to stay invisible- thats why we use cover and try to sneak and snipe the enemy- you cant aim what you cant see- elementary Watson That is also why humanity sends phalanx instead of nuking every attacked area

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2008, 10:41:03 pm »
Laser are invisible, yes. But plasma and particle beams? Normal human weaponry? No. Quite visible.

And there is also another maxim - if you can shoot me, I can shoot you. No matter which gun you use, you have to get out of cover to get a shot.
Also, aliens seem eager to duck for cover themselves when the shooting starts.

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2008, 11:55:07 pm »
normal weapons are mostly invisible- short moment of shooting is visible only in SOME weapons. Plasma is visible(probably as i havent seen any in real life yet) but now you are trying to tell me, that a lighter is just as visible as a torch- you are comparing a short flash of light to a constant light from barrels. Particles moving with near-the lighspeed shouldnt be visible as well- ~25 frames per second is enough to give a human an illusion of fluid picture, and aliens shouldnt perceive much faster.

And there is also another maxim - if you can shoot me, I can shoot you. No matter which gun you use, you have to get out of cover to get a shot.
I killed quite a lot of aliens with grenades by bouncing them from walls or blowing them near an open door.
Other way to get covered alien is to surround him and attack from behind. Or- take strong position put there few good soldiers on full reaction and wait until our covered fellow shows up