project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Building (and some weapon) descriptions  (Read 13484 times)

Hoehrer

Building (and some weapon) descriptions
« on: May 16, 2006, 04:27:09 pm »
We are currently preparing the Ufopedia/Info-entries to be displayed with a description. But especially descriptions for the various buildings are missing. So we ask you to help us create some shiny lines of text that would fit in there. If you have some just post 'em here.

EDIT: we do not need the descriptions in po-syntax or anything ... just plain text

We need at least an english description that can then be translated into the other languages as well. That said .. of course transaltions of already submitted descriptions are also needed.

Most of the entries are self-explaining, but if you have troubles coming up with a good description just ask.

Keep in mind that this descriptions will most likely change when development advances, but we need to start with something. And especially for TD3 (yes, it's coming along) some text would be nice ;)

Buildings
  • Entrance [EN DONE]
  • Commando central [EN DONE]
  • Powerplant [EN DONE]
  • Laboratory [EN DONE]
  • Storage [EN DONE]
  • Interceptors [EN DONE]
  • Quarters [EN DONE]
  • (UFO Hangar) [EN DONE]
  • Hangar [EN DONE]
  • Team Room [OPEN] (see comment by BTAxis below)
  • Radar [EN DONE]
Weapons
  • Kerrblade [OPEN]
  • Bolterrifle [OPEN] (we are not yet sure if this will be a nail-gun/coil-gun like device or something along a railgun)
Many thanks in advance,
The UFO:AI team

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 06:01:00 pm »
I wrote some descriptions for the base facilities:
Entrance
--------
This is the personnel entrance to the Phalanx base. It is basically an elevator riding from the surface to an underground corridor that leads into the base. The entrance to the elevator is camouflaged so it can't be spotted easily from the air, reducing the chance of the base being discovered by the aliens. The elevator cage can hold up to four people at any one time. This is a security measure, preventing enemy forces from penetrating into the base in large numbers. However, because it is one of the few structures that links the base with the surface, the Entrance remains a weak spot in the base's defenses. In the event of an alien attack, the aliens will likely enter from here.

Commando central
----------------
[Suggest this be renamed to Command Center]
The Command Center is the heart of any Phalanx base. All missions are planned here, and all information gathered by the base's sensors and field operatives converges here. Without a Command Center, no base can function, so any new base must set up a Command Center before it can become operational.

Powerplant
----------
The Power Plant supplies a base with energy. Without energy, most base facilities will not function. For this reason, the Power Plant is a vital facility, and is likely to be the target in case enemy forces invade the base.

Laboratory
----------
A Laboratory provides space for scientists to conduct experiments, discuss theories, run computer simulations and test prototype equipment. Though scientists don't need a laboratory to live in the base, they cannot do their work without one. Each laboratory provides work space for ten scientists.

Storage
-------
This building is used to store equipment and spare parts. Each Storage facility provides space for 50 pieces of equipment.

Interceptors
------------
Interceptor missiles are a basic anti-air defense that protect the base from UFO invasions. UFOs trying to land near the base will be targeted and shot down. Though Interceptor missiles are an adequate defense against light raids, they cannot hope to stop larger UFOs.

Quarters
--------
The Quarters facility provides space for all Phalanx personnel living in the base. Soldiers and scientists, as well as the command staff, call this place home. Each employee has his or her own cubicle, which is equipped with a bunk, a small desk and basic sanitary facilities. In addition, the Quarters has a common living space where employees go to relax and socialize. Each Quarters facility provides living space for twenty people.

(UFO Hangar)
------------
The UFO Hangar is where captured UFOs are stored. Obviously, it is not practical to disassemble a captured UFO on the spot, as it would invite counter-attacks by alien forces. Instead, once the UFO is secured, it is towed to the nearest Phalanx base equipped with an unoccupied UFO Hangar. This is done by regular military units, and thus the operation is of no concern to the Phalanx Commander. A UFO Hangar can house any UFO up to Transport class.
[Suggest additional facility: Large UFO Hangar, for the big UFOs]

Hangar
------
The Hangar is where Phalanx combat craft are stored and maintained. The Hangar is stocked with all the tools the engineers need to keep the craft in top condition. Most of the Hangar floor is a massive elevator. When a craft is to be launched, the elevator transports the craft to the surface before it takes off. The Hangar bay doors are camouflaged, so they can't be spotted easily from the air, reducing the chance of the base being discovered by the aliens. However, because it is one of the few structures that links the base with the surface, the Hangar remains a weak spot in the base's defenses. In the event of an alien attack, the aliens will likely enter from here.

Team Room
---------
[I have no idea what this is for. It seems totally redundant. I suggest this facility be scrapped, or given a different name and purpose.]

Radar
-----
The Radar facility is the control center for a radar array set up outside the base. Using the radar array, UFOs can be detected from a long distance away, allowing intercept missions to be launched and giving advance warning to the Command Center should the UFO intend to attack the base.

Note that this still needs to be po'ed (I don't want to install poedit), and there's no description for the Team Room because I think it's totally useless.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 06:04:43 pm »
On a related issue, I think the current facility parameters you get in the UFOpaedia are rather uninformative. Worker cost is pretty ambiguous, perhaps that should be renamed to "running cost". Or perhaps it should be removed altogether, if base upkeep is decided against. Though some buildings have a power usage listed, the power plant does not have a power output listed. Some work here is needed, I feel.

Hoehrer

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 06:30:12 pm »
Many thanks for the quick response with the descriptions. :D

Now we only need as many translations for teh buildings as possible ;)
And of course the weapon-descriptions ... but if nothing comes up we'll just leave them undescribed in the next release.

Misleading information:

Yeah,  this is a known issue ... and it mostly comes from the fact that not even 90% of this is implemented right now ... at least not in a sane way. ;) Also some information should not be in the pedia at all (specific-building related) or should be added (you already mentioned the power-output) etc...

Concerning the Worker-costs ... actually it's planned as "cost per worker/employee" additional to the "fix costs" of the building ... but see above.

Werner.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 06:33:30 pm »
Cost per worker, hm? I think that might not be a good idea - too much micromanagement. Though you don't actually manage anything, unless you intend to have different scientists have different levels of abilities (like in x-force). Rather, I think you should just put a general upkeep cost for each building, regardless of whether it's being used or not. Keeps things simple.

Hoehrer

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 06:49:00 pm »
Quote from: "BTAxis"
Cost per worker, hm? I think that might not be a good idea - too much micromanagement. Though you don't actually manage anything, unless you intend to have different scientists have different levels of abilities (like in x-force). Rather, I think you should just put a general upkeep cost for each building, regardless of whether it's being used or not. Keeps things simple.

this is an easy thing that will not influence the palyer in any way .. just his credit
Code: [Select]
Building_costs_per_month = fixed_building_costs + num_of_worker * costs_per_worker
Nothing extra to manage here. I hate micromanagement. (The display in the base-view will reflect that after the implementation.)

This will be used in the lab and the workshop. Maybe also in quarters and training-rooms (it's a WIP)

I forgot to mention  the PO files ... we'll do that work in the end. No reason to use the po-syntax.

Werner

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 06:53:50 pm »
Yeah, I see how it wouldn't be "micromanagement", but I think you probably want to not mention the running costs so prominently, since it really doesn't make that much of a difference. For the financial side of things, there should just be one large financial report, with the cost-per-worker thing as one debit value that represents the worker cost of all workers in all bases. There is no need for the player to calculate worker cost for each facility or base himself.

PsyWarrior

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 07:00:40 pm »
Entrance
(I'm assuming like the old UFO, the bases are underground)

This secure elevator provides the main entry point for personnel and equipment from the surface. It is the first structure to be constructed in any base.

Commando Central
(What does this structure actually do?)

Powerplant
(I'm assuming nuclear fusion for now, because of the time, and the fact that anything else would probably be visible from the surface. If you don't intend for "XCOM" to start off with this technology then... we'll have to change it)

Power generation is vitally important, and you can't exactly rely on the national grid. The nuclear fusion power plants used by [insert organisation name here] use hydrogen as their main fuel source, and produce no toxic waste. In return, they produce a large amount of sustainable electricity, which is then transferred around the base via a shielded, internal grid.

Laboratory

When faced with an enemy as advanced as these alien forces [or insert empire name here], [organisation] came to the conclusion that the only way to effectively defend earth was to constantly pursue new technologies, and to reverse engineer captured alien technology. The [Organisation] laboratory provides the most advanced analytical technology known to humanity. Coupled with some of the finest scientific minds, the laboratory can turn around research projects from a concept to a fully working prototype within days, and provide effective analasys of alien artifacts in one tenth of the time it would take a civilian facility.

More later, maybe.
-PsyW

EDIT: Arg, when I started typing that there were no replies :roll:

Offline XCOMTurcocalypse

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 07:11:39 pm »
Team Room:

This room could be added later,in order to enhance skills of soldiers wearing heavy armor.You know,all the HUD and stuff.Or it could be changed into MedBAY,to add cyber to soldiers,or to heal them,heck even train them in psi.

PsyWarrior

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 08:21:03 pm »
Team Room Also:

Maybe it could be a training centre, where troops abilities can be improved... See my talking about training in the soldier stats thread.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 09:45:20 pm »
I think we also need a med lab. Also alien containment and various upgrades, but those can wait until later.

PsyWarrior

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 11:18:25 pm »
Bolter
(Suggest renaming to Elecromagnetic Rifle, since both railguns and coilguns launch projectiles using electromagnetic energy. They don't tend to fire bolts though...)

The MkII Electromagnetic Rifle launches a ferrite projectile at very high velocities. The projectile is larger than the standard 5.56mm (?) projectile used in infantry rifles, and at supersonic speeds, it is capable of doing significant damage to any soft target unfortunate enough to get in the way. The EM Rifle has no moving parts, and is therefore silent apart from the sound of the bullet as it breaks the sound barrier.

As the ammunition is larger, capacity is reduced. Additionally, there is a significant recharge time between shots that makes fully automatic fire impossible.

(It's a little unrealistic, but we can assume that technology has advanced a little...
I made up the last bit, and it's possible you'll want the Bolter to be fully auto... in which case, maybe you could simply make the shots take up more TUs than the standard rifle, to simulate the recharge time.)

-PsyW

EDIT: Suggest renaming Interceptors to Interceptor Missiles. I thought that they were the hanger bay where interceptor craft were stored :roll:

Offline XCOMTurcocalypse

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 09:44:48 pm »
A reminder:

5.56 mm seems strange.You know,every 5.56 bullet carries a chamber for powder,and it is the kernel in the front that matters.Since you have electromagnetic energy,a clean,weapon-based and recoilless(I'm not sure though) source of acceleration,bullets could be considerably smaller,and rifles longer,for much needed acceleration zone.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 12:59:31 am »
I don't think anybody really cares. This is a game, not a weapons database geared towards accuracy.

Also, recoil-less accelleration technically doesn't exist, as that would be violating Newton's second law. Of course, there are tricks you can pull to reduce recoil.

PsyWarrior

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 01:04:05 am »
Well yes, EM rifles like railguns could conceivably launch very small projectiles are rediculous speeds, but the acual level of damage against soft tissue would not be so much (compared to a larger projectile, at slower speeds).

It works well for (theoretical) large-size tank / battleship mounted cannons, that are able to launch smaller ferrite projectiles at insane speeds (mach 3 or above over 25 miles or so...). However, for infantry purposes, launching a small projectile at very high speeds wouldn't do much damage, certainly not more than a regular assault rifle, although it would have long range and excellent accuracy.

The ability to launch somewhat larger than standard size slugs at reasonably fast speed means more damage potential. With a railgun, you'd still see a lot of recoil though. Not so sure about a coilgun (although the ability to accellerate projectiles to high speeds is not quite as good with a coilgun, apparently. Not much evidence of this, since weapon laws prevent construction of coilguns with really high muzzle velocities)

I'm kind of assuming some kind of advanced coilgun, here... Also, the 5.56 was somewhat arbitrary, since I couldn't remember if NATO standard was 5.56 or 7.62 :roll:

However (bottom line), since most of the stuff about EM rifles is theoretical anyway, you could just as easily have a rifle that fires very small projectiles at rediculous speeds (remove the problem about ammo capacity). Also, it occurs to me that the idea about incorporating long recharge times might not be a good idea, since you then basically have a weapon which does exactly the same as the normal sniper rifle - powerful, accurate single shots.

-PsyW

EDIT: Fixed some spelling / grammar.
EDIT2: BTAxis, every time I post you seem to somehow get a post in before me! :roll: