project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: German translation  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Adler

• Rookie
    • View Profile
German translation
« on: April 25, 2017, 03:50:22 pm »
I downloaded the last german .po document. While i worked on it, i noticed that some of the translations are already in the game. Can someone enlighten me please? It's the first time i use Poedit, maybe i've missed something.

EDIT: In the po-files name is written: Apply German translations from BeastXXL.
But i can't find any BeastXXL, neither in this forum, nor at github  ???
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 04:45:50 pm by Adler »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: German translation
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 08:49:28 pm »
Sorry for the confusion. I believe it was caused by the fact that our buildbot was broken and you downloaded an oldish installer (January 20?). DarkRain applied BeastXXL's patch, he might have been approached on other channels.

You can compile the po file to a mo via PoEdit and replace %Program Files%/ufoai/base/i18n/de/LC_MESSAGES/ufoai.mo to see the up-to-date translations in game. (I wrote the path out of head, so might be wrong. Also note the %Program Files% is a macro that you need to substitute with the correct location.)

-geever

Offline Adler

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 08:39:21 am »
There are some cases where it's stated that the word should start with an uppercase letter. I changed what was possible, but sometimes there is no way to write something lowercase in german. I mean, it's possible, but it also is wrong. German depends way more on uppercase-lowercase-letters than english.
For exapmle the word "pilot", what means "Pilot" in german. No matter where "Pilot" is in a sentence, it's always written with uppercase "P". It's part of the base concept of written german.

So, is it really a SHOULD, or is it a MUST?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 08:16:07 pm »
Follow the grammar of German. I see no problems with the English word "pilot" is translated as "Pilot" if that's the way it should be. And this applies to any other cases.

-geever

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 02:07:17 am »
Re BeastXXL's translation: it was e-mailed to Mattn a while ago, he posted it to an issue (#33) on github.

About uppercase letters: that's a style guideline, for obvious reasons proper grammar trumps style, so as geever said, write proper German first, worry about style guidelines only on the cases where it doesn't goes against the language rules.