project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: The green smoke waving around  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
The green smoke waving around
« on: November 22, 2016, 12:02:59 am »
Hello,

Before I post a bug report, I'd like to know if the following text that is displayed in red on some crashed UFO maps (Gunship, at least) when a soldier comes too close to the engines, is correctly translated in other languages in version 2.6.
In v2.5, this string can't be found in the .po file.

"The green smoke waving around this damaged alien propulsion device looks suspecious. Maybe  you should avoid getting to close there."

Btw, "suspecious" could be corrected.

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The green smoke waving around
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 05:53:41 pm »
Huh, what happens if a soldier comes too close anyway ? Is that a new feature ?

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 07:22:16 pm »
It's like an invisible fire field; you suffer from radiations circa 15-20 HP/square you walk (in Power Armour). Green fumes particle effects are associated with it, the same as those used to mark a location on the Fuel Deposit map, but you don't have to walk through them. I play on v2.5, and you sure have played such a crash-landed Gunship map, did you? However, the only way to read this sentence is to walk close enough to an engine (or a separated engine). If you use to win those maps ever before one of your soldiers comes close, it's no wonder you never notice it.

Anyway as it appears in English, I wanted to know whether the string lies in the map file or in the source code. And if it could be made translatable. I'd bet there's the same localization problem with the new mission objectives, but I don't play v2.6. I hope I can play the Fuel Deposit map soon again.

Secondly, the Medikit section could be complemented so as to briefly mention that it can't treat radiation sickness effects on the spot, besides the use of painkillers.

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 08:36:51 pm »
It's better with a screenshot.
This soldier 's health will be reduced -15 HP per square (in the vicinity of the engine).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 08:38:43 pm by Rodmar »

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 06:51:00 pm »
The string comes form the map itself (specifically base/maps/africa/af_craft_crash_gunboat.map) but it doesn't appear in the *.po files, probably our update scripts don't look in the *.map files for translatable text.

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 06:12:56 pm »
Thanks for the answer. Since you are aware of the "problem", there's no need for a report, I guess.

Offline Damyen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 04:16:49 pm »
Perhaps posting a bug report would be nice for the record? Or later, if you notice some other problems of the same type?

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 11:09:51 am »
Rather a feature request then, as a remainder.