project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Range of Bloodspider's melee weapon  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Range of Bloodspider's melee weapon
« on: October 26, 2015, 02:38:54 am »
Hello,
I don't know if this is a bug or a normal (or unavoidable) feature.
Twice so far at least, I've experienced spiders that successfully deliver damage whereas they are not adjacent to their target. They are on the next square as illustrated by the screenshot.

Is this okay because all the attacks are dealt at (Range+1) anyways?

However, I'm pretty sure that other attacks (such as those against civilians) are dealt at point blank.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Range of Bloodspider's melee weapon
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 06:26:49 am »
Range for Bloodspider Weapon is given as 1.5. There is a reason why it was done this way, unfortunately I cannot remember it. Will try to look it up.

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 03:04:57 pm »
I've seen them attacking at range specifically if the attacked soldier is using plasma blade reaction fire (and facing the spider), which would instakill a full health combat blood spider at the highest difficulty even, so there'd be no way to attack. If that's not the case, as either the attacked unit isn't facing the spider, or it's a civilian, it attacks from an adjacent field.
Judging from your screenshot, the AI probably just reacts to whether reaction fire is to be expected, and not to the type of reaction fire. On other occasions, spiders seem to walk towards soldiers, then get reaction-shot, and stop, although they clearly didn't use their full movement points. Happens if soldiers with reaction fire are arranged in a way that it's impossible to attack one of them without lots of reaction fire, which would kill the spider.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 03:11:24 pm by anonymissimus »

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 03:47:42 pm »
With a range of 1, I think they could not attack from a diagonally adjacent cell. Not sure, though.

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 11:38:33 pm »
Well, I just read into the v2.5 ufo files:

All melee weapons, including plasma blade and stun rod have a range of 1.5.

However, Blood Spiders' bite has a range of 2!

Perhaps, as anonymissimus says, it's to disallow any melee reaction fire?
Still, it's confusing when a spider attacks with more range than a stun rod, deemed to be used as a small fork!