project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Testing on Linux and Intel Atom Processors  (Read 2723 times)

Offline bigjackskid

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Testing on Linux and Intel Atom Processors
« on: June 19, 2015, 05:30:58 pm »
Hi. I still don't know where to make offers to assist the team. I can test UFO:AI on different platforms.

I have an old laptop which I run Linux Lite on (64 bit) with an i3 330m cpu, 4 gb of ram.

I have a Windows 8.1 tablet (32bit) with an Intel Atom quadcore 1.3 ghz (upclocks to 1.8 ghz) cpu, and 2 gb of ram. I can test performance or anything else on these systems if any testing is needed. But, I will need someone to explain to me how to collect diagnostic information to do it. Note: come July 29th, I intend to update my Tablet to use Windows 10. I also have android but UFO:AI is currently not on android.

One more thing, this game is very detailed and complicated. I don't quite know where to begin to find help. The tutorials are very thin.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Testing on Linux and Intel Atom Processors
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 11:23:03 pm »
Hi. I still don't know where to make offers to assist the team. I can test UFO:AI on different platforms.

The forum is fine.

I have an old laptop which I run Linux Lite on (64 bit) with an i3 330m cpu, 4 gb of ram.

I have a Windows 8.1 tablet (32bit) with an Intel Atom quadcore 1.3 ghz (upclocks to 1.8 ghz) cpu, and 2 gb of ram. I can test performance or anything else on these systems if any testing is needed. But, I will need someone to explain to me how to collect diagnostic information to do it. Note: come July 29th, I intend to update my Tablet to use Windows 10. I also have android but UFO:AI is currently not on android.

Any feedback is welcome. However I can't promise that we'll have a solution for every issue, especially performance issues on embedded/integrated graphics chipsets. But to know where we are in compatibility would be a good thing. We could create a wiki page about tested devices.

One more thing, this game is very detailed and complicated. I don't quite know where to begin to find help. The tutorials are very thin.

Yes, live tutorials is still a missing item on the roadmap somewhere. Feel free to ask your questions in the Discussion or Tactics topics depending where they fit.

-geever

Offline bigjackskid

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Testing on Linux and Intel Atom Processors
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 03:23:41 am »
Yes please do add that to the wiki. I'll run it in several computers with various specs and post the FPS count. Not sure what other performance data would be available or how to find it.

-------
I can report that 2.5 runs on the Intel Atom z3735f, 2 GB of ram, with the Baytrail GPU at 43.5 FPS almost all of the time, regardless of what is happening. There are no issues at all. I opened a skirmish and got massacred. Are units supposed to 'float' from point A to B? there is almost no animation.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 03:46:50 am by bigjackskid »