project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Faster loading of saved games please  (Read 3516 times)

Offline beng

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Faster loading of saved games please
« on: January 30, 2015, 11:10:54 am »
Is it possible to make the saved games load faster? The longer you play into a campaign the slower the saved games load, until i have to wait several minutes to load a game. Why does it take so long? Is it replaying the enitire campaign and if so is that necessary? Can't the saved game just save the current positions and status of objects?

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Faster loading of saved games please
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 03:45:52 pm »
Could you please elaborate what version you are playing when posting stuff like that? We are currently low on crystall balls here.

Iirc there is a ticket in the tracker that claims those long loading times come from the hige amount of employees available for hire. And you should be able to speed up loading by right-clicking on those free agents (e.g. you will not need hundreds of pilots) and thus permanetly removing them from the campaign.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 07:40:49 pm »
Probably he plays 2.5.0. Good news, that some speedup improvements were already implemented (about loading looong list of employees)

-geever

Offline beng

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 05:15:05 am »
Yes 2.5.  If loading employees is time consuming, can the Scientists and workers just be numbers rather than individual objects? Like a number of scientists, a number of workers.

Also i notice the save games include every single message (like aircraft returned to base, aircraft refueled, production finished etc) since the start of the campaign. Can it just be pruned to the last 10 messages? There is no need to store every single message.

I cannot delete excess pilots etc, right-clicking them has no effect.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 05:26:44 am by beng »

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 09:36:11 am »
Yes 2.5.  If loading employees is time consuming, can the Scientists and workers just be numbers rather than individual objects? Like a number of scientists, a number of workers.

Also i notice the save games include every single message (like aircraft returned to base, aircraft refueled, production finished etc) since the start of the campaign. Can it just be pruned to the last 10 messages? There is no need to store every single message.

Submit the patch to http://ufoai.org/bugs/ufoalieninvasion/issues/new/issuetype/enhancement.

I cannot delete excess pilots etc, right-clicking them has no effect.

You can. It does. Try targeting the employees checkbox before clicking.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 01:09:50 pm »

This idea came up already for other reasons and was accepted. However I want a solution that makes this generic and configurable from ufo files (and well designed, no hacks), because obviously there are some advantages and possibilities in this model as well that I don't want to lose (like we could assign skills to the workers and scientists if we wanted to).

Nope. Currently, the message list acts as a "Campaign log" as well, when you report bugs it helps us a lot to figure out what events lead to the problem.

-geever

Offline anonymissimus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 04:17:00 pm »
Please keep the messages, yes. I need them.

I don't experience increasing time to load saved games. I wonder whether it's due to the fact that I loose a lot of cannon fodder each month so that my total number of soldiers in increasing very slowly. Thus I don't notice an effect. This is assuming that the soldiers are the important factor (and not workers, scientists or pilots.) As soldiers are by far the most complex employees type, it's reasonable to assume that. Also, playing on the easier levels yields even a lot more useless recruits (and I play on the harder ones).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 04:19:57 pm by anonymissimus »

Offline cannonfodder558

• Rookie
    • View Profile
v2.5.0 - v2.5.?
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 04:07:05 pm »
Probably he plays 2.5.0. Good news, that some speedup improvements were already implemented (about loading looong list of employees)

-geever

Hello.

Is there a version newer than 2.5? And how can I get it? I'm playing v2.5 stable.

Just downloaded 2.5 from the download section here again and re-installed it 5 days ago. I assumed it would contain all fixes up to now. Without getting a separate version number, like 2.5.1.

According to the first screen after game start, it's Win32-version 2.5 dated 2014-april.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 04:09:08 pm by cannonfodder558 »

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: v2.5.0 - v2.5.?
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 06:21:58 am »
Hello.

Is there a version newer than 2.5? And how can I get it? I'm playing v2.5 stable.

Just downloaded 2.5 from the download section here again and re-installed it 5 days ago. I assumed it would contain all fixes up to now. Without getting a separate version number, like 2.5.1.

According to the first screen after game start, it's Win32-version 2.5 dated 2014-april.

We have the nightly builts of the current dev version, but there is no 2.5.1 beside the chance of pulling the source and compiling it on your own.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 11:22:32 pm »
2.5.1 is still waiting for some fixes: http://ufoai.org/bugs/ufoalieninvasion/milestone/35/details

(mostly build system and map compiler issues)

-geever