project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Apparently, the media files are NOT free?  (Read 5891 times)

Offline Wuzzy

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Apparently, the media files are NOT free?
« on: September 03, 2014, 06:11:56 am »
Hey, I know that it was claimed that for version 2.5, all artwork is free (in license terms). (Source: Lol, just read the news on the front page.)

Now it appears that this may still not be the case.

I tried to finally remove UFO:AI from the list of rejected games of the LibreGameWiki, but I got this reply:
Quote from: GNUbie
Hey Wuzzy! Unfortunately looks like there still is something not quite right. This file http://sourceforge.net/p/ufoai/code/ci/master/tree/LICENSES lists 5 items without a license, radiant/bitmaps/texwindow_uniformsize.png, contrib/7th.zip, contrib/scripts/compile_po.bat, contrib/scripts, update_potfiles_in.bat and src/tools/blender/md2tag_test.blend. Some items don't list an author. All and all they've done some nice progress and are getting awfully close to being free! GNUbie (talk) 03:03, 3 September 2014 (CEST)

Whoops!

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Apparently, the media files are NOT free?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:34:28 pm »
none of these files are part of the game. 7th.zip is just there for historical reasons. the others are... not part of the game. but adding an entry to the license list might still be a good idea.

Offline Wuzzy

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 10:18:07 pm »
Well, if those files are not part of the game, I guess the lines should be removed (not added, what are you talking about??) from the LICENSES file, right? ;-)

Thanks for the reply, I will talk to the LibreGameWiki right now.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 12:54:20 am »
Well the real question is: Do we distribute those files? If so, then we should make sure they have appropriate licenses

An the answer is yes, most importantly radiant/bitmaps/texwindow_uniformsize.png that is part of uforadiant, while radiant is technically a different package that will cause problems... specially if you consider that every other file in radiant/bitmaps doesn't even have an entry in LICENSES

Offline solbu

• Administrator
  • Rookie
  • Norwegian translator, Mageia packager
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 02:04:54 pm »
Somehow I missed this topic, but in september 2015 I opened a discussion about this on LibreGameWiki, which resulted in the game being listed on the site. :)