project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Free Aim and Goggles  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Nokaze

• Cannon Fodder
  • You called down the thunder now reap the whirlwind
    • View Profile
Free Aim and Goggles
« on: August 25, 2014, 08:12:13 pm »
Let me start off with this, I am new to these forums, and have only been playing UFO AI for about a week or so. I understand that the scripting required for some if not all of these changes would be too difficult or impossible to implement.

Requests:

Grenade Free Aiming
Similiar to Xcom Enemy Unthin, (Uknown and within) being able to aim grenades at the ground off of the grid, as well as at walls. This goes with the next suggestion

Free aiming infantry weapons
Being able to aim an infantry weapon off of the grid would be a helpful feature, as it would allow for more accurate aiming at just the corner of something or allow for snipers to target specific parts of the body. This would allow for shooting around corners more effectively, as well as hitting the enemies that display a low hit chance but you cannot guess how high the hit chance actually is based on a piece of cover that could be in the way despite being nearly useless to covering the unit.
This would go with a damage system that is based on where the hit took place. Including such damages as a hit to the arm could increase the number of TUs it takes to fire or reload a weapon, move items around in the inventory, etc.. Or a hit in the leg could cause a higher TU cost of movement, crouching, etc.. Things like that.
This change is the most controversial in my mind, as it may or may not fit into the realism layout the game has going for it. You be the judge.

Head pieces
We seem to have a lack of things like IR goggles, this has been mentioned before but I'll give my ideas here.
Assisted Aiming goggles - Provides aiming information to the user, helping them make more accurate shots, as well as possibly helping increase their damage output if the threshold is high enough.
Enemy Information Goggles - Provides information about researched enemies, giving a damage boost or an aim boost (just rough ideas here) or giving the player information like the HP of the unit, its max TU's, perhaps even if it has reaction fire on. (This isnt necessarily accurate, it could be giving wildly incorrect information especially for unresearched aliens)
Pre-Research goggles - Provides a boost to research (Minor) the more the goggles see a certain enemy or item.
Line of sight highlight (goggles) - Gives a line of sight estimate on enemies.

That is the majority of my requests, and I completely understand if none of these are even possible to attempt with the quake 2 engine.
Thanks for reading my brainspill.

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Free Aim and Goggles
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 12:03:54 am »
what lack of ir googles? we have them.
we aslo have bleed system and wounds system. so if you soliders is hurn in a leg he will need more tus to move. aim loss at hand wound. and without medical attention yout soliders with wounds bleed out.

you can lob or roll granade and aim quite good. well you cant really throw around corners and you canr shoot around cornars with guns on blind. but that might make game just a bit too easy...

Offline Nokaze

• Cannon Fodder
  • You called down the thunder now reap the whirlwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 01:53:39 am »
Not a lack OF IR goggles, a lack of things LIKE IR goggles, as currently there is nearly no point to have a single soldier not have IR goggles. An increase to their cons would be helpful, but so would giving greater variation to the types of goggles that can be used for different things.

I do understand the issue with balance here, and that giving the aliens the ability to throw grenades in a similar fashion would be useful. (Limitations would apply here, I can see how it would be difficult to do things like this.) The balance for free firing weapons would be similiar, but as before this would be hard to implement. These are both most likely changes that wouldnt be implemented quickly, if at all. The goggles were a more immediate suggestion and adding to a list of features for general increase in options. The free aiming is more for a change in how the combat functions, and increasing the options a player can perform in combat.

Offline Noordung

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 08:59:39 am »
i think you can aim on tiles with shift. or ctrl... its probably shift.

aha more equptment like ir googles that it good one.