project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Ambient Occusion?  (Read 2900 times)

Offline IMBACORE

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Ambient Occusion?
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:20:16 am »
This might seem to be asking too much but I'm just curious, does this game's engine support ambient occlusion? If so, how do we enable it? I've noticed that in curves (the characters' legs for example) there's too little shadow (at least in the "Equip Soldiers" menu) resulting in the models not really feeling as real as they should be.

I've noticed that ambient lighting works fine though; during impact, grenades do wash the victims in stark color values --- deep shadows and brilliant lighting effects do swathe the models just fine. I'm wondering if this impressive work can be applied to the models when viewing them via the Base Management UI.

Edit: Typos.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:16:02 pm by IMBACORE »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Ambient Occusion?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 04:16:31 pm »
that is something on our todo list. but unfortunately the ui and the battlescape are using two different render methods.

Offline IMBACORE

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 05:15:00 pm »
that is something on our todo list. but unfortunately the ui and the battlescape are using two different render methods.

Ah that explains a lot. Thanks!

How do you increase the specular effect in this game? I want the game to be a bit shinier than the default settings.

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 08:21:28 pm »
As of now, there is no ambient occlusion or any other complex light environment model. The effect you mention is the result of ambient light forced to be unusally bright to compenstate visually for the lack of said model.