project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Debian: feedback and tests welcome  (Read 38452 times)

Offline apo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Debian: feedback and tests welcome
« on: August 21, 2013, 01:22:11 pm »
I have committed my latest work for UFO:AI here:

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-games/ufoai.git
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-games/ufoai-data.git
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-games/ufoai-music.git
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-games/ufoai-maps.git

I invite every Debian/Ubuntu/Mint gamer to test those packages by cloning the git repositories and building the game from source. I can also provide binaries in a later development stage of 2.5, when it is clear that a release is only a few weeks away.

Edit: 02/11/2013
Debian packages for amd64 and i386,  from 1st of November 2013.

Edit: 28.06.2014
I have removed the binary packages from the server since they are outdated. The next ones will hopefully be official. :)

I still need to write the copyright files for the -data, -music and -maps source packages. I think I'm already done with the main ufoai source package which contains all source code. Another important point is creating identical and compatible maps. See also this thread: http://ufoai.org/forum/index.php/topic,7853.0.html

Debian provides a tool called Lintian which is mainly for checking Debian packages for policy compliance. But it can also detect common spelling mistakes in source packages. I'm attaching a patch that fixes a bunch of them.

What is the reasoning for displaying: "Download this game for free" at the intro screen? From the point of view of a Linux distribution this message shouldn't be necessary because it is clear that all users download the game from official Debian and Ubuntu servers. There are also various pointers to http://ufoai.org within the packages, so that I think it makes sense to omit this string in /src/client/cl_screen.cpp. What do you think?

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 06:41:23 pm by apo »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Debian: feedback and tests welcome
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 02:25:50 pm »
What is the reasoning for displaying: "Download this game for free" at the intro screen? From the point of view of a Linux distribution this message shouldn't be necessary because it is clear that all users download the game from official Debian and Ubuntu servers. There are also various pointers to http://ufoai.org within the packages, so that I think it makes sense to omit this string in /src/client/cl_screen.cpp. What do you think?

We can't adjust the UI for each platform, and most of our users will have downloaded and installed the game from a distributed package that isn't necessarily connected to Debian/Ubuntu servers. For instance, some people even end up buying the game.

Would it help if we posted your repo on our news/twitter/facebook pages, to try and get more testers?

Offline apo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 03:26:24 pm »
We can't adjust the UI for each platform, and most of our users will have downloaded and installed the game from a distributed package that isn't necessarily connected to Debian/Ubuntu servers. For instance, some people even end up buying the game.

There is nothing particularly wrong with selling UFO:AI because it is licensed almost exclusively under the GPL. However if the vendor's product isn't accompanied by the source code or proper credits, you can and should enforce your rights. https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html

If your game is truely free software this message seems to be redundant and I don't believe it will prevent those people from buying the game.

Would it help if we posted your repo on our news/twitter/facebook pages, to try and get more testers?

Sure. That would be great. The more feedback, the better.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 05:41:15 pm »
OK, posted on Twitter and our Desura page. Mattn just made another news post today on our site, so I'll wait a day or two before posting on our front page. Remind me if I forget.

Offline apo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 09:57:30 pm »
*ping* front page post still welcome. My offer to provide binaries for testing at a later development stage still stands.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 12:29:16 pm »
front page post is there - thanks H-Hour.

offering binaries would be nice.

btw. i've seen your ufo wrappers support backtraces. if that is using the debian internal bug report stuff, you might want to disable the ufoai backtrace support:
see USE_SIGNALS in unix_shared.cpp (Sys_Signal)

use configure --disable-signals if you wanna disable that. but keep in mind, that we are not informed about the segfault then anymore.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 12:34:52 pm »
just thought about another thing. There are bashcompletion scripts for ufo2map and ufomodel. It would be cool if you could add them, too. They are located in contrib/scripts/bashcompletion

Offline apo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 06:30:53 pm »
front page post is there - thanks H-Hour.
Thanks!

offering binaries would be nice.
I'll upload all packages to my private VPS tomorrow and report back.

btw. i've seen your ufo wrappers support backtraces. if that is using the debian internal bug report stuff, you might want to disable the ufoai backtrace support:
see USE_SIGNALS in unix_shared.cpp (Sys_Signal)

use configure --disable-signals if you wanna disable that. but keep in mind, that we are not informed about the segfault then anymore.

Debian doesn't provide debugging symbols for all packages like Ubuntu does (apport) and those packages are only provided on a case by case basis. I think it makes sense to supply a -dbg package for ufo:ai and I have already created such a package. However I presume for a useful backtrace someone has to compile the binaries with no optimizations but I believe that the debug package will provide enough information, so that I or anyone else can reproduce the issue.

I will add --disable-signals to configure because I bet otherwise someone would file a bug report about privacy concerns.

just thought about another thing. There are bashcompletion scripts for ufo2map and ufomodel. It would be cool if you could add them, too. They are located in contrib/scripts/bashcompletion

Yes, they are already included. If you think something else from contrib might be useful, then now is the time. :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 06:32:42 pm by apo »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 08:05:41 pm »
I will add --disable-signals to configure because I bet otherwise someone would file a bug report about privacy concerns.

use the cvar uploadcrashdump and set this to 0 if you want to disable the crashdump upload. the crashdump is then still created, but only kept locally.

Offline apo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 05:19:11 pm »
use the cvar uploadcrashdump and set this to 0 if you want to disable the crashdump upload. the crashdump is then still created, but only kept locally.

Actually I would like to keep your internal backtrace in case of segfaults but I would also like to disable uploadcrashdump by default. So just for clarification:  I have to set uploadcrashdump to 0 in my config.cfg manually? How can I make this behaviour the default for all users?

By the way I have uploaded the binaries to my VPS. As long as there are not hundreds of testers, the bandwith should be sufficient, otherwise it would be better to mirror the packages somewhere.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 08:17:00 pm »
you can add this via commandline

./ufo +set uploadcrashdump 0 (just add this to your wrapper)

Offline apo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 10:39:23 pm »
Alright, thanks.

As a side note: I can't no longer reproduce the crash when clicking on exit or when I disable the sound in-game. I presume this has been fixed by one of the last commits or by a Debian package upgrade.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 10:51:59 pm »
that's good news.

Offline Popi

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 08:50:34 pm »
Hi there,

Downloaded and installed all but the music package.

Debian Jessie (3.10-2-amd64)

Radiant package required me to add the following packages:
  libgtksourceview2.0-0
  libgtkglext1

Everything installed like a breeze and game runs "as well as the compiled version" (mouse fps drops under 0 when mouse moves while in mission, so i haven't tested much gameplay -sadly-).

I don't know if you need anything else to "test" about the packages.

Offline apo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 10:04:12 pm »
Hi Popi,

thanks for your feedback! I'm always looking for things which I haven't anticipated yet. So I'm interested in things like

- does the game work for you on your system
- what do you think about the ufoai-server package, does it suit your needs as a server admin?
- does the uforadiant package work, shall I suggest/recommend other packages which are useful for creating ufo:ai maps?

Well, in short everything might be useful, especially if it doesn't work for you (then I would like to know why? :) )

Regarding the ufoai-uforadiant package: I also discovered that the package could avoid useless dependencies. It seems that the radiant binary is linked against libraries that are not strictly needed because the map editor uses non of the library's symbols. I need to experiment with build/modules/uforadiant.mk a little to avoid the unnecessary linking. I get this message in my build log:

dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai/usr/lib/ufoai/ufo was not linked against libdl.so.2 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai-server/usr/lib/ufoai-server/ufoded was not linked against libdl.so.2 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai-uforadiant/usr/lib/uforadiant/uforadiant was not linked against libXt.so.6 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai-uforadiant/usr/lib/uforadiant/uforadiant was not linked against libfontconfig.so.1 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai-uforadiant/usr/lib/uforadiant/uforadiant was not linked against libatk-1.0.so.0 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai-uforadiant/usr/lib/uforadiant/uforadiant was not linked against libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai-uforadiant/usr/lib/uforadiant/uforadiant was not linked against libogg.so.0 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai-uforadiant/usr/lib/uforadiant/uforadiant was not linked against libfreetype.so.6 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai-uforadiant/usr/lib/uforadiant/uforadiant was not linked against libICE.so.6 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai-uforadiant/usr/lib/uforadiant/uforadiant was not linked against libvorbis.so.0 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai-uforadiant/usr/lib/uforadiant/uforadiant was not linked against libpangox-1.0.so.0 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai-uforadiant/usr/lib/uforadiant/uforadiant was not linked against libGLU.so.1 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai-uforadiant/usr/lib/uforadiant/uforadiant was not linked against libXmu.so.6 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai-uforadiant/usr/lib/uforadiant/uforadiant was not linked against libgio-2.0.so.0 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai-uforadiant/usr/lib/uforadiant/uforadiant was not linked against libcairo.so.2 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai-uforadiant/usr/lib/uforadiant/uforadiant was not linked against libgmodule-2.0.so.0 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai-uforadiant/usr/lib/uforadiant/uforadiant was not linked against libSM.so.6 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai-uforadiant/usr/lib/uforadiant/uforadiant was not linked against libgthread-2.0.so.0 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai-uforadiant/usr/lib/uforadiant/uforadiant was not linked against libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 (it uses none of the library's symbols)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/ufoai-tools/usr/bin/ufo2map debian/ufoai-tools/usr/bin/ufoslicer debian/ufoai-tools/usr/bin/ufomodel were not linked against libgcc_s.so.1 (they use none of the library's symbols)