project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UFO: Female Invasion?  (Read 23804 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: UFO: Female Invasion?
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2010, 09:17:20 pm »
As a general rule, everyone on the internet is male until proven otherwise.

True, I've seen many cases - including in texts that aren't on the net as well - where "he" is assumed and understood to really mean "he or she" but is written out as "he" simply to make the text easier to read and avoid long, wordy sentences every time a person is referred to.  The same goes for "him" or "his" or any other similar terms.  The common exception though, is of course when the text is used in something geared toward women specifically (for example a website about nail polish and female beauty products, etc.)

Regarding the previous topic and related discussion in this thread, I see two different arguments:  One is how males and females compare in a military/soldier setting, the other is the general population.

I've seen numerous professional scientific studies that have proven that in the general population - people in all career fields - Men typically have more and stronger muscle mass while females have been proven to have better average manual dexterity, so in that case yes, they are different in their abilities.

Regarding in the military, when talking soldiers, I've never been in the military so I can't offer a solid perspective on that but I do know from my old job in law enforcement that I've seen plenty of women who work in that field who are just as strong, fast, and capable of performing the job as the men are.

So bottom line, I can agree with statements on both "sides" of the issue, but it really depends on which debate you're talking about - just soldiers/military, or the population as a whole.

As for the very original topic, in recent builds I've seen a typical mix of both genders equally now.  I don't recall any updates to the code addressing this really, but I'm no longer having too many of either for soldiers.

Offline Legendman3

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2010, 10:01:42 pm »
rule 30, no?  ;D

That rule dosent apply to me.

Offline DiDiT

• Squad Leader
  • Your local Flame-thrower wielding Furry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2010, 10:12:48 pm »
right... legendMAN...   ::)

rule 30 apply to ALL of the internet! 4chan says so. *nods*