project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Raptor is facing backwards in the aircraft equipping screen  (Read 2646 times)

Offline beng

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Raptor is facing backwards in the aircraft equipping screen
« on: February 01, 2015, 01:39:30 am »
In the screen where you load equipment and weapons onto aircraft, the raptor is facing backwards so that when you install weapons, they are pointing backwards.

The raptor will therefore have to turn around in mid air to fire it's weapons backwards at enemy UFOs.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Raptor is facing backwards in the aircraft equipping screen
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 07:27:40 pm »
Well the 'landed' version of the raptor is facing the opposite direction to the rest of the aircraft models (as far as I've seen) including the 'flying' version of the raptor... since the same model is used in maps we can't just rotate the model itself just like that, so some options: 1.- add a little hack to rotate the raptor model in the menu, 2.- rotate the model itself (and the landing gear model) and rotate it back in all the maps, 3.- make a rotated copy of the model(s) and use that as the menu model, 4.- use the flying version as the menu model (and skip the landing gear as it's facing the other direction) or 5.- Implement the 'angles' keyword for 'menu_model' so we can rotate it in the definition.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 06:23:56 am »
I vote for 6.- Replace the Raptor model.

Just in case nobody steps up to provide a replacement, #4 seems like a good idea, as the landing gear does not add that much. But the 'flying' version might miss some details, no? Rotating the model within the maps is not a huge deal, so we could do serious business as well.

Offline beng

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 10:23:18 am »
I did not notice the landed raptor model in the maps was facing the wrong way since being VTOL it can land facing any direction right? I don't think the maps raptor needs changing since you can just take it that it landed facing that way. The weapon load screen model would look better if it wasn't backwards though. Alternatively it could be a backwards-looking aircraft so the geoscape model should be backwards too.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 06:41:47 pm »
Well, yes #6 is much better, but since we haven't had much success keeping modellers in the last few years....

For a short term solution I'd say using the flying model is fine, the only detail it misses is the landing gear, the flying version I refer to is different form the geoscape model, which is in fact lower poly, also for the record: almost all human aircraft has two versions, one landed and one flying, in fact there was the time when the game would switch between them depending the craft being at the base or in transit...
Edit: In theory the menu should still be switching models — just checked the scripts and it seems to still be there...

As for rotating the model in the maps, the model could of course go either way, I just say we should rotate it back if we rotate the model itself because in the new orientation it could intersect with the spawn points or some prop that might be on the map, so rather than opening every map with the Raptor and checking if it is OK in the new orientation I figured it would be easier to just replace the angles directly in the map files
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 06:56:02 pm by DarkRain »