project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: need advice  (Read 14138 times)

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: need advice
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 09:11:56 am »
I made some further investigations, first removing doors from all tiles. There is one exception though, as mansion_craft_drop_empty.map has doors on level 1, but no weird lighting. So I did not remove the doors there.

Success. The seams are part of an other problem by the mapcompiler.

Third pic shows the doors from one tile mirrored on the center of the assembled map.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 10:23:01 am »
lights are affected, too.

first Pic : heli-hangar in UFORadiant, showing the lights.

Second picture : the night version of the map. Not so good.

After this I replaced all origin textures. No effect.
Next I removed the func_door in level 3. No effect.
I put the door in level 3 back and removed the func_door in level 2. This looks as it should now, I think.

I put the door in level 2 back and remove the func_doors in level 1. Again lighting seems ok, as in the third pic.
Putting doors on level 1 back for cross-checking again shows the problem I started with.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 11:37:28 am »
Tip for getting rid of light bleeding on the edges of the tile seams: Create a lightclip brush that covers the edges by extending into the space where another tile will be. The lightclip will not effect any other tiles (it is only used when the map is compiled).

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 12:31:02 pm »
Tip for getting rid of light bleeding on the edges of the tile seams: Create a lightclip brush that covers the edges by extending into the space where another tile will be. The lightclip will not effect any other tiles (it is only used when the map is compiled).

You are right. I will do this once the func_door problem is solved by the devs.

It still is a bug in the mapcompiler. The same happens on e.g. walls, causing a small strip of light that should not be there.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 01:12:19 pm »
@sandro

I attached the sample map from above here.

Thanks.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 04:01:25 am »
I found - completely by accident - a secondary (or maybe primary?) cause for this lightning problem: levelflags, yes levelflags.

Using your sample map, setting all (1-8) the levelflags for level 1 brushes (they have only level 1 in your map) seems to fix the problem (see the first screenshot attached) no need to remove the door, furthermore 'fixing' the levelflags for some brushes only, fixes the lightning for that brushes only as well (see the second screenshot).

I have not the slightest clue of how func_doors (and possibly lights?) and levelflags interact to cause this, but here it is, in case it helps (either as a workaround or to find a fix).

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 07:04:10 am »
Hopefully this will help to bring darkness into the light.  :)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 09:30:38 am »
i didn't had a chance to try this out yet, but running either ufo2map -fix or using the attached patch for ufo2map might fix the problem if it's really levelflag related.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 03:26:48 pm »
I have no idea what to do with a .diff file. Sorry, I need some advice for this.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 09:58:53 pm »
@ShipIt: You apply it to your git checkout
Code: [Select]
git apply /path/to/fix.diff
^^ while in your ufoai checkout, then you recompile ufo2map and try it

Unfortunately the supplied patch doesn't fix the problem - at least for me -, also ufo2map -fix will not change the levelflags in this case as they are valid.

In this case the level 1 brushes that show the problem have only the level 1 flag set - which seems fine as they end up being hidden by other brushes in upper levels - but it seems the lightning breaks in brushes optimized that way when there is a func_door in the same level anywhere on the map.*

Incidentally I think ShipIt is the first one to try and optimize hidden brushes that way, afaik other mappers set the levelflags of the level where the brush is and all the levels above that, even if they are hidden in the upper levels (so an interior wall at say, level 3 would have levelflags 3-8 even if it isn't visible from levels above 3)

*edit: except on mansion_craft_drop_empty.map, maybe because the only brushes in the upper levels are lightclips in this one... all this evidently needs more testing.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:18:13 pm by DarkRain »

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 06:51:12 am »
*edit: except on mansion_craft_drop_empty.map, maybe because the only brushes in the upper levels are lightclips in this one... all this evidently needs more testing.

At the time I was writing this ^ the _craft_drop_empty.map was like all the others. It was split later on.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 09:28:52 am »
Incidentally I think ShipIt is the first one to try and optimize hidden brushes that way, afaik other mappers set the levelflags of the level where the brush is and all the levels above that, even if they are hidden in the upper levels (so an interior wall at say, level 3 would have levelflags 3-8 even if it isn't visible from levels above 3)

No, there is a lot of optimization like this in other maps. If it is done right, you should never notice in-game. But doors are a fairly recent invention, so very few maps had them.